~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The First Thing to Ask

Perception is something, isn't it? You can put ten people on a hill watching the same sunrise, ask them what it looks like, and you'll get ten different descriptions. This is why I'd never want to be a judge in court. Eye witness accounts are completely subjective - Where was the witness standing? Have they ever been in the witnessed situation themselves? What did they have for breakfast? Did someone hide their chocolate spread this morning? So much can impact how we see things. I'm learning that in any situation where there is disagreement, at any level, the best thing for me to do is to stop looking at what everyone else is saying and just look at myself. The first things to ask are "What am I bringing into this equation? Am I doing anything to make this difficult? What could I do to make it better?"

After that, it doesn't matter what anyone else does or says. I am being responsible for myself, I'm not giving up my power by arguing with anyone or trying to place responsibility on them. I can just sit there in peace and watch things unfold. And I usually find, to my surprise, that everything unfolds just fine. Huh. Go figure.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Exactly! Remember the movie in school "The Eye of the Beholder?" That movie with the artist and the model, and the woman next door who comes in and thinks he murdered her, and they showed each perspective? Makes you think about how we interpret/misinterpret things. Lynn

Maegan Langer said...

Your picture just kills me, Janiel :)

indiana weaver said...

Everything begins and ends with personal responsibility. No one is to blame for one's life except oneself.