~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, August 13, 2010

Et Tu, Communiqué?

So I am all excited because I get a Facebook account, and I am finding all these old friends, and OMGosh! They want to be my friend too! And oooh! Look how popular I am. And myself-esteem takes a leap because I have, like, 60 friends! And then I go and look at some of my friends’ walls and they have . . . 260 . . . 280 . . . 345 . . . 524  . .  . Um. Wow. But, that’s okay. I’m just starting. I’ll find more people. They’ll find me. And, dude, I am writing on walls like I grew up all inner city. And I’m clever and pithy and . . . there’s like this big lull in people returning my comments. And my friend requests are dropping to a trickle. So, okay, I finally get up over a hundred. But a LOT of the people I thought were good, you know, FRIENDS, are not responding to my posts. And my self-esteem starts to get a chin-tremble.

And then I think, Twitter! That’s it! I’ll start tweeting, and I’ll be so witty yet meaningful everyone will want to follow my Twits! Tweets! So, I create a Twitter account. Two of them in fact. And I start tweeting. Tweet, tweet, tweet. And then I sit on my little twitter-twig and wait. And you know what? I get followers! I mean, it ain’t that many because, you know, I’m just starting out, but I am IMMEDIATELY getting followed. So I must be good, right?

And then I do a little research into my followers, and I realize that, while I am sure they are all very nice people, a lot of them aren’t writers, and aren’t mothers, and aren’t interested in the same things I am. And I think they are doing what I am doing: trying to get followers. Which is fine. But they’re not there because I’m brilliant. As for Facebook, I realize that most of my friends have lives and aren’t counting on Facebook for their social fulfillment.

Which makes me realize that there is a life outside of the computer. A real one. And while I use my MacBook a great deal for my writing and connecting, it is just a tool. Not a source of security.

I feel so much better after these realizations. Or I will, as soon as I recover from the embarrassment of the whole affair. One thing I know, I am never scrutinizing chocolate like this. Our friendship is tight.

9 comments:

Russo said...

Very clever post, girl. You always come up with interesting topics. And I'm with ya, chocolate should never be scrutinized :)

Sara B. Larson said...

You nailed it. There will always be someone with more followers, more comments, whatever. Just eat your chocolate and do the best you can. It's all any of us can do. Right? ;)

Justin and Maleah said...

Janielle, it must be said, love the quill and the hair, in that order. And I know where you live - you are SO inner-city.

indiana weaver said...

Love this post.

Janiel Miller said...

Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is get good at it. :)

Maleah, I'd be happy to give you a copy of this picture to take to your stylist the next time you go. It'd be fab on you, dear.

Maegan Langer said...

May I come perch on your Twitter twig with you? We'll be Twits together!

Janiel Miller said...

Please do!

The Richardsons said...

Oh I can so relate! It's like high school all over again! There are few things worse than adult adolescence, and few things better than realizing popularity is relative! As in, I'm popular among my relatives, and that's good enough for me. :)

Janiel Miller said...

Ah man. I guess I gotta get popular among my relatives.