~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, September 24, 2010

Just Keep Making Stuff


This came from one of my dearest darlingest best friends and massively amazing creator-persons, Robin (a.k.a. Indiana Weaver), as a comment on one of my posts:

"This made me think of something Julia Cameron says in The Artist's Way. She points out that if you want to make something great, you have to give yourself permission to do a lot of not-so-great stuff. Then it's more likely that you have those fab moments when it all comes together. I love that. It takes the pressure off if all I have to do is just go make stuff. Just keep on making stuff."


Ahhhhh. And now we are set free. What a great way to think of life! Indeed, what an essential way to live. Stress is one of the best creativity-blockers I know. Give yourself permission to be a normal, non-perfect, non-better than anyone else, completely human, gloriously fumbling, endearingly dorky, wonderfully verklempt, fabulously free person. If Thomas Edison, inventor of the light bulb--and a host of other life altering things that we don't even notice we use on a daily basis--can look at his work like this: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work," and this: "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward," then so can we. We haven't failed. We've just found lots of ways we won't do things in the future.


Or maybe we will, for something else. Besides, its often the things we create that we haven't fallen in love with, or don't think very much about that resonates with others. And THAT is probably because we weren't angst-ridden in the making of it.


Thanks, Robin. You're the Bomb. And the Weaver. And the Soap-Mistress. And the Silk-dyer. And the Maple Syrup Maven. And the Outdoor Oven Builder. And the Home Schooler. And the Well Repairer. And the Animal Husbandress. And the all-around cool chick who has no idea how she inspires others just by keeping on making stuff.



1 comment:

Russo said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVED this quote. Robin, you freaking rock and i am glad you shared it. *Janiel, thank for posting it!