~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 22, 2010

Dreamweaving

Sara B. Larson got me thinking about dreams this week. Since I was little, I've lived very much inside my own head. A lot of my friends were visible only to me. I could list some of them, but that would just be embarrassing.

Now that I'm older, I'm still a shameless daydreamer. I think my mind is in the same place as the rest of me only about fifty percent of the time. All of my old imaginary friends have morphed into story characters. You may wonder, as my grandma did in all seriousness when I was telling her about the blog recently, if my two blog partners are imaginary as well. Not to worry. I have plenty of people living inside my head, but Janiel and Russo aren't among them.

Why do we spend so much time daydreaming? What makes it so important? The answer, I think, is in the most awesome opening line for a novel EVER:

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality. Even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream.*

How great is that? We need to dream. Dreaming is so essential to well-being that even birds and clicking, leaf-impersonating bugs do it. I mean, reality can be boring. And stressful. Overwhelming. Discouraging. Dangerous, even. But it's all good, because we can create our own reality. We are safe in our power to dream.

I'd like to know: what do y'all dream about, awake or otherwise?

*The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

6 comments:

jenna said...

I've always been a big dreamer too. I can zone out of almost any situation with the greatest of ease. My nights are like one long movie... I usually wake up wondering where my mind GETS this stuff.

Janiel Miller said...

I've got seriously detailed dreams. Exhausting, sometimes. In fact, I will occasionally have mini-series dreams, where they pick up the next night where the one the night before left off. Weird. Also, I've discovered that if I sleep on my left side I often have bad dreams, but I can change them to good dreams by rolling onto my right.

That's odd, I think.

Nice post, Divine Miss Maegan.

Sara B. Larson said...

I can verify that Janiel and Russo are indeed real people. And I'm glad my post got you thinking! I think to write is to dream. You have to dream up characters, and lives, and worlds (sometimes), and so much more. It is an escape from reality. I love this post and your thoughts. Thank you!

Russo said...

Oh my goodness, you made me laugh my toukus off. Janiel and I better be real, although your head would be fun to live in. You are very imaginative.

Great post girl! And go Sara, for inspiring us

indiana weaver said...

I love this post. It reminded me that Einstein said that imagination is more important that intelligence.

Albert was a really wise dude.

Maegan Langer said...

Indeed, he was. "God doesn't play dice with the universe."