~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 1, 2010

Gratitude

November Challenge: The Stuff We're Glad to Have

With this being the traditional month for counting blessings and all, the Gnome Slayers decided to do some Deep Thinking (maybe not too deep) and come up with a list of things we're grateful for. So here's mine, in no particular order:

1. Emma, my 2002 Toyota Echo, who got me through college and all the way across the country and back. She's a great little car, even if she smells like a barn and required a new battery and spark plugs this past week. Sigh.


Being a good sport in Vermont after the Great Valentine's Day Blizzard of '07. Isn't she cute?

2. A great job where I get to play with horses every single day and never have to bother with make-up. It also funds said battery and spark plugs, along with all of my other expensive habits: writing classes, conferences, travel to far and exotic places, the upkeep of various and sundry pets, and books, books, books.

3. A family who puts up with me, mostly because they have to.

4. Good friends: my Writing Peeps and my Welsh Peeps and my Animal Peeps, who all share my same kind of crazy. Seriously, it could be so lonely being a nerd.

5. Capable mentors, including a Literary Godlike Instructor who's not afraid to kick my butt. Repeatedly. For years. (I know, I will finish the novel. Someday. I promise.) And in whose class I met my fellow Gnome Slayers and Story Smashers.

6. My own little personal Gnome, Fangxiety, who makes every difficult or scary thing I do that much more meaningful because I always have to beat him with a large kitchen spoon first (that's right, I'm on to you, buddy).

7. McVities Dark Chocolate Digestives, gelatto in general, and red Swedish Fish in particular.

8. A menagerie of animals who provide therapy and stress relief by requiring constant care and feeding.

9. All the people out there who actually take time to read the stuff I write. (No really, I'm astounded that anyone is interested in my quirky little musings.)

10. Last but not least, I'm just grateful to be here. Life can change at any time, but I don't have much to complain about at the moment.

4 comments:

jenna said...

what a great list. I have never partaken of a McVities digestive- but now I'm curious.

Sara B. Larson said...

That's a great list! I wish I could work with horses. I miss my horse a lot.

And I'm all about swedish fish, yum!

Janiel Miller said...

Lovely list of things that really matter. Especially the digestives. And the friends.

You're the quirky-bomb, chicklet. :)

Russo said...

Love this list and the pic adds alot to it. What a blizzard you lived through-that snow is incredible. I am so gonna try those digestives :)