~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, November 5, 2010

Gratitude

November Challenge: Things We're Glad We Have

I could dedicate an entire blog--not just a post--to the things I'm thankful for.  It would list every person I know - whether I annoy the turquoise out of them or not - every experience I have had, and every thing I own as things I'm glad I have in my life. Good, Bad or Ugly, they've all taught me something. And whether or not they know it or are glad for it, I do and I am.


That said, here are some things I am especially grateful for (in no particular order):


1. Toilet paper. Seriously. I don't do leaves. And the way I roll, I'd probably always be the one who found the poison ivy.


2. Indoor plumbing. See above. Also, thank you for showers and warm water and no big tin tubs that I have to bathe in after everyone else is done so I can't tell if any of the dirt actually washed off and I have a permanent tan.


3. My partner, friend, and husband for life (and then some). Dude has put up with a lot. So have I. We're finding the gold underneath it all now. And we're too tired to switch it up anyway.  ;)


4. Kidlets who not only are very cool people who I would want for friends, but are endlessly hilarious and wise. Also, if I didn't have them who would clean my bathrooms?


5. Friends - young and old; old and new. Heavens people. If you knew how much I've learned from all of you, you'd dip yourselves in bronze and sell yourselves in an art gallery. Because you're that gorgeous. And I'm that famous.


6. Paper. How inviting is paper? It sits there just waiting for you to write something on it - a letter, a note, a song, a recipe, an equation, a goofy drawing, a touching drawing, an anonymous word of encouragement, a bit of admiration, a book. Oh yeahhhhh. A book. A story. A new world. I love paper.


7. Belief in something bigger than myself. Thank heavens someone knows what is going on. Now if WE could all just figure it out  . . .


8. Recipes. And all the Chefs who went before. Love that amazing chemical-reaction-magic of foods going from chunky, gloppy, slippery, and raw to plumped, fluffy, tender, and infused. Also, what in the world is better than the smell of homemade bread? Hmmm? That's right. Nothing.


9. The guys who bring me to the music, and bring the music to me. You know who you are. I'd be dead inside without you.


10. Hmm. I cannot possibly limit it to ten. But, rather than Nyquil-ize you, let me just say that I'm also grateful for: my fellow gnome-slayers (more than they know), my writing friends (who, after the Smash-Thing last month may be sick of me), living everywhere I've lived (loved it. want more. please send airline tickets.), music, new people, happy people, art, teenagers, children, funny people, Milka Alpenmilch Chocolate bars. From Germany. Not the Americanized stuff. Toast. Clouds.


And YOU.


The End.



4 comments:

Sara B. Larson said...

It's so fun to read about all the things you ladies are grateful for. :) Except, that German chocolate, no no no. If you win my contest and get to try real Swedish chocolate, you'll switch alliances. Trust me. ;)

Janiel Miller said...

Ah. Well I shall have to WIN then, so I can accurately make the comparison. Thanks Sara!

And is it just me, or is that picture at the bottom of my post kind of creepy?

Russo said...

Janiel, what a great post-I am so grateful for you, girl! I love your wit, and the way you make people smile!

indiana weaver said...

blowing a kiss back atcha.