~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 8, 2010

If you like dead Scottish dudes . . .

And really, who doesn't? The only strike against them is that they are, in fact, dead, and therefore unable to regale us with their rugged brogues . . . I'm sorry, I get distracted whenever I think about rugged Scottish brogues. Anyway, there are three particular dead Scottish dudes I have in mind today.

I don't claim to be an expert on these guys. I've never read Robert Burns (although I know the tune, if not the words, to Auld Lang Syne), Sir Walter Scott (I own a nifty antique copy of Ivanhoe that I have yet to open), or Robert Louis Stevenson (does Muppet Treasure Island count?). But the city of Edinburgh has dedicated a whole museum to them. It's near Edinburgh Castle, just off the Royal Mile at the end of Lady Stair's Close. ("Close" is a fancy British-y word for "narrow passage that's ridiculously difficult to spot unless someone points it out." But trust me, it's there.)

I enjoyed wandering around the Writers' Museum because:
A) the warped windows produce eerie effects on the buildings outside
B) it's full of cool quotes and artifacts, like Sir Walter's childhood rocking horse
C) it features life-size mannequins of the authors and their friends
D) actually, the mannequins were a little creepy

So if you like dead Scottish dudes and you find yourself on the other side of the pond, drop in on the Writers' Museum. Now, what did I do with Ivanhoe . . .

8 comments:

Janiel Miller said...

I think Darkspume might be a dead Scottish dude . . .
(Love this little post. Makes me want to go there.)

Sara B. Larson said...

Ooh, I want to go! I love Scottish accents.

Janiel Miller said...

Yeah, and the country's not bad either. :) Let's go, babe. You get your book published, I'll get mine . . . It'll be a little book tour. All four of us should do it, yeah?

Ca.ll.y said...

five. Can it please be five?

Maegan Langer said...

Woohoo - road trip to Scotland (so to speak). I'm glad you like this post, Janiel. I felt like a bit of a slacker for recycling it, but I'm fresh out of glib-juice after my trip this weekend :)

Maegan Langer said...

And yes, 5 is better than 4.

Russo said...

Oh, Sara, you're right, Scottish accents are hott!

Oh, my goodness, how fun would that be- Scotland and us. So there and I agree with Maegan, 5 is defiantly better than 4. You rock, Cally!

BTW great pics Maegan

aquafortis said...

Ooh, I have a writer friend living in Glasgow right now--I'll have to ask her if she's been to the Writer's Museum!

Interesting fact: my husband (whose name is--really--Robert Stevenson) is a distant relative of THE Mr. Stevenson. His middle name's not Louis, though. :)

If you're going to read an RLS, I'd say Kidnapped is pretty exciting....