~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 3, 2011

Magical Writing Spaces, Plus Goals and . . . Stuff

January Challenge: Goals for the New Year and Where We Write Them Down

I'd never had a designated writing space of my very own until recently. Before that, I wrote in my kitchen or a cubicle in the library. Neither of those places worked spectacularly well. I love my local library, or any library for that manner. But it's fifteen minutes away, and it's hard enough as it is to get myself motivated (You mean I actually have to get dressed and drive all the way down there . . . ?) I like my kitchen too, but then the TV and the fridge are like right there. So that wasn't very conducive to maintaining the groove either.

When I went to Wales last summer, my bedroom in the house where I stayed came equipped with a desk. It was like a revelation. I decided I'd get me a desk once I got back. And here it is, my very own writing desk.




You'll notice all the essentials: laptop, lamp, thesaurus, Coke Zero (not Diet, this is very important), iPod (which has been playing a lot of this lately while I write), spiral notebook for manic idea-scribbling, and reference materials (three different folkore books - the novel's about fairies. Awesome, manipulative, butt-kicking fairies. In case you hadn't guessed). And look! I even managed to snap a pic on a day when the Muse decided to visit.

Sooooooo. Goals. (Graceful segue, that.) I'm not a huge fan of goals. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions because I never keep them. Much like one of our friends over at Smashing Stories, I prefer to meander my way through life. It's not like I never get anything done. But there's something about saddling myself with a solid, set-in-stone goal that gives me the heebie-jeebies because A) I could teach seminars on creating unnecessary anxiety for oneself and B) I feel like a complete loser if I don't meet my goal, for whatever reason.

That said, this month marks two years since I started writing my novel. I have 44,000 some-odd words so far. Over two years. Everybody writes at their own pace, but this is getting ridiculous. It's time to move on. Time to get this story out of me and onto paper so I can send it into the world. Time for these characters to get out of my head so I can make room for the next batch of voices. So here's my goal, y'all are my witnesses: I'm going to finish my draft this year. Yup, I said it. I'll have to kick it up a notch. Or five. But that's okay. It'll be good for me. 362 days and counting. Are you listening, 2011? Because I'm about to make you mine.

What are some of your goals for this year?

11 comments:

Janiel Miller said...

Ooooh! I heard you! You said it out loud! *standing by with confetti and shrimp-plate for the Finish-The-Draft celebration*

Love your voice, babe. As always.

jenna said...

if you need any pre-readers....i'm available. :)

Maegan Langer said...

Tee hee, I'm glad you said that Jenna because, um, you son is kind of a character in the book, so . . . hope that's ok!

Caleb Warnock said...

Had I known all you needed was a DESK I would have bought one for your TWO YEARS AGO! I hope you will bring your prologue chapter and your latest chapter, whatever it is, on Thursday so I can finally get around to the long-promised pointing out of things. And I'm not going to say a word about the thing we're not going to say a word about, because I don't want you to feel those heebie jeebies you mentioned. Ahh, couples therapy! And yes, I'm listening to Sting now, a man who embodies writing what only you could write, an elementary school english teacher turned Sting.

sleye1 said...

So dangerous of you...and I like it.

mona said...

Coke Zero rules! I'm with you that far! ;)

Russo said...

Oh, I am gonna be with Janiel standing by with confetti and shrimp-plate for the Finish-The-Draft celebration. Your gonna rock the crap out of 2011!

Janiel Miller said...

And I think we can all agree that a crapless 2011 is what we all want.

Maegan Langer said...

Indeed, Janiel. Indeed.

sueallen2546 said...

cute cat,wuts his name?

Maegan Langer said...

Thanks, Sue! That's my kitty, Moe. If you click on the word "Muse" in the post, you can read all about her :)