~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 17, 2011

Stargirl, Molasses, and Faceplants

I'm afraid I don't have the brain power at the moment to write a cohesive blog post on a single subject. Instead, I thought I'd cover a few totally random and unrelated things that have been on my mind of late.

1. Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, everybody! Let's all do our best to be excellent to each other, okay?

2. How fabulous was our guest post on Friday? If you haven't already, go check out Sara B. Larson's thoughts on staying the course, even when it's tough.

3. I finally saw The Sorcerer's Apprentice this weekend. I'm not gonna lie, there were some hokey story elements. But it's always fun to watch Nicolas Cage do what he does best: the quirky, cryptic hero, from the wild, pseudo-dreds all the way down to his pointy, old man-shoes. The apprentice of the film's title was a physics whiz. I would make a lousy sorcerer by that standard - I hated physics in college.

4. One of my Facebook friends brought this to my attention. Apparently, Saturday was the 92nd anniversary of the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy. Seriously. You couldn't make this stuff up.

5. I just finished a great book by Jerry Spinelli called Stargirl. The cover got my attention initially. I'm a sucker for interesting book covers. Inside, I found a sweet little story about love and the tug of war between holding onto one's uniqueness and wanting to fit the "norm." The man can write. Check it out.


6. Last Tuesday, my mom was walking down 9th Street in Washington, D.C. when she slipped and faceplanted on the ice. She fractured a tooth, bit her lip, and cut her chin, ultimately needing seven stitches and a brand new incisor. After picking herself up, she ducked into the nearest warm building, the Washington Renaissance Hotel. The doorman and the security guards whipped out the first aid kit, sat her down, and stayed with her for twenty minutes until the bleeding stopped.

So to that doorman and those security guards at the Washington Renaissance Hotel, if you're out there, know that we're most grateful for your awesomeness. (She's healing up fine, by the way.)

That's all for now. Have a great week, Gnome Slayers!

10 comments:

Sara B. Larson said...

Yikes! Your poor mom. :(

And isn't Stargirl so great? Love that book.

Janiel Miller said...

Oh, that makes me cringe! But thank heavens for her awesome heros! I love hearing stories about the good people who are out there. Glad she's healing up.

And honey, I just saw "Sorcerer's Apprentice" and thought it was a great time--hokey elements and cheesy lines and all. Cage has gotten great at camping himself (wonder if he knows he does it). And how can you not enjoy a movie with Alfred Molina in it? Dude rocks. Plus, I kept hearing Hiccup from "How To Train Your Dragon." Baruchel was perfect.

Fun post, Maegini.

scott.densley said...

I didn't know bout the molasses tradgedy thing. Ya learn sumthing new every day, especially on this blog.

Russo said...

Oh, my goodness, I hope your mom is okay. Man, she's brave.

And stargirl, I loved that novel. Nice post on the random things of life.

Maegan Langer said...

Actually, I think you're right Janiel. The more I thought about Sorcerer's Apprentice, the more I liked it. Gotta give Mr. Cage credit for not taking himself too seriously.

And I had no idea there were so many fellow Stargirl lovers out there! Wow, I must be behind the times. I don't think I'd read Jerry Spinelli since the 4th grade.

jjsundevil said...

I logged on to Russos trashy computer so I hope this comment goes thru safely

Be excellent to eachother is my new slogan I love your posts Maegan
Spicey N orignal work.

Russo said...

Jameses, what in the world are you doing on my completly dead computer? You poor thing. Ah, you needed your threegnomes fix that much :)

BTW Maegan, your 'be excellent to each other' bit was truley lovely.

Ari2525 said...

Im gonna read that book, I mean Im not realkly into reading but maybe this might be good for me, I dunno, I shoudlat least try, thank you for the book suggestion Maegan.

miadavis29 said...

I like this post, your bloog is very different and in a good way.

Maegan Langer said...

Thanks everybody! Be sure to let us know how you like Stargirl, Ari :)