~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 7, 2011

Green Mountain State of Mind

March Challenge: Green

Maybe it's because I grew up in the desert, but when I think green, I think Vermont. The funny thing is, I never thought of the western United States as a desert until I went to Vermont the first time. The sight of those endless, rolling green hills was a bit of a shock for me. (Vermont is known as the "Green Mountain State," but don't even get me started. Living by the Rockies has made me a bit of a mountain snob.) It was an alien world, or the closest I'd been to a rain forest at that point in my life. There's plenty of green out here too, but most of it is man-enabled. Vermont is pure, unadulterated green, the way Mother Nature intended. Unless you're a leaf peeper, then Vermont is red, orange, yellow, gold, brown, and every variation in between. Here's a few other things I think of when I think of Vermont:

1. Horses. Vermont is home to the UVM Morgan Horse Farm, where I did an apprenticeship that involved nothing but living, breathing, eating, and sleeping all things equine for a year.

2. Beauty by Robin McKinley. My favorite book EVER. I read it during my first trip to Vermont when I was twelve. Whenever I think of Beauty's cottage on the edge of the forest, I always picture my relative's summer cabin in Vermont. I've read the book at least half a dozen times since.

3. The Great Valentine's Day Blizzard of '07, oddly enough, the subject of another Challenge of the Month.

4. Maple creamees. "Creamee" does not have the same definition in Vermont as it does out west. Out here, a creamee is kind of like a frozen-yogurt popsicle you buy in boxes of 12 at the grocery store. In Vermont, creamees are what they call soft-serve ice cream. I did not know this until someone explained it to me. Anway, there's an excellent creamee place in Vergennes with like, two hundred flavors. Maybe not that many, but a lot. Maple's the best though.

5. My cousin Jack. He lives in Vermont. He tried to teach me how to play chess once, and he wiped the floor with me. I was 24 at the time. He was 7. I have not tried to play chess since.

10 comments:

scott.densley said...

Vermont winters? Your tough.

Shelly said...

:)....Florida is green sometimes brown. But mostly green. The sun shines forever here.

Toesthattwinkle! said...

thats so cute with your cousin :)

Ari2525 said...

Maple creamies, do they have that in Utah? I used to be able to play chess, I stink at it and wish to be better, not willing to sit down and lkearn.

M said...

Thanks for following!

Following back!

Janiel Miller said...

Definitely want to have a maple creamee while reading Beauty, and listening to cousin Jack say "Check Mate." :) I'm going to have to find my copy of Beauty. You make me want to read it again.

Maegan Langer said...

I'm afraid they don't have maple creamees in Utah, Ari. At least they don't make them the same way they do in Vermont (believe me, I've looked). However, Sub Zero in Pleasant Grove serves a mean maple frozen yogurt.

Maegan Langer said...

P.S. Janiel, you're welcome to borrow my copy of Beauty if you can't find yours. Just so long as I get it back - I'm a little bit attached ;)

Robin said...

Maple creamee! Yum! We made our own this year with the new kitchenaid ice cream attachment and the new maple syrup. I might have some for breakfast.

Russo said...

Maegan, you amaze me, you worked in vermont, you've traveled the globe over. Is there anything you haven't done?

I am so trying one of those maple creamies.