~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 28, 2011

In Which I Slay Three Gnomes Before Breakfast

On Saturday, my friend Jan invited me to her 8 a.m. zumba class. Waking up that early on a Saturday is not normal for me (Gnome #1), waking up that early on a Saturday to exercise is definitely not normal (Gnome #2), before this Saturday, I had never in my life attended a zumba class (Gnome #3. Count 'em: three).


"But Maegan," you say, "why is zumba a Gnome? It's fun! It burns calories! It's Latin-based!"


Well, because I've always been coordinationally-challenged. I like exercise, but just the repetitive stuff: treadmill, stationary bike, the elliptical if I'm feeling wild and crazy. Anything that requires the upper half of my body to communicate with my lower half, that calls for my legs to move in sync while my arms do something totally different - that's a whole new bag of snitches.


But you know what? Once I stopped worrying about me and how silly I looked (luckily the studio was mirror-less), it was fun! The important thing is to just keep moving, kind of like if you're in a choir and you lose your place so you start singing "watermelon" instead. It doesn't hurt to have an instructor like Jan, either: always smiling and exclaiming how good we were doing even as we tried to swing our hips, pop our shoulders and twirl our wrists all at once. To steal a quote from Janiel, she ought to be bottled and sold.


So, I can't shimmy quite as well as Jan does. Nor is my writing as pretty as Maggie Stiefvater's or Robin McKinley's. But it's all good, because it will be someday, hopefully. As long as I keep trying, keep moving, even if I have to sing "watermelon" sometimes (or is that way too many metaphors to cram into one sentence?).


8 comments:

jenna said...

Zumba is hysterical... and everyone looks goofy. I go to aqua-zumba and it's even sillier!

MVP said...

Thanks for making me smile. You were obviously born with the silver spoon of the Welsh persuasion. Cheers. MVP

Maegan Langer said...

Jenna - They have aqua zumba too?!? I have to try that one next!

Uncle Matt - Diolch yn fawr :)

Shelly said...

Well, I tried Zumba once. Hut myself. So, I weight train and spin. But, now I have to be careful no to over do.

1 Funky Woman said...

Getting up early to exercise is not part of my DNA! I can't even imagine maybe thats why I have junk in my trunk! I'd love to try Zumba sometime but only if there are no mirrors also!

Keep dancing!

Megan

CMSmith said...

Congratulations. I am passing the Versatile Blogger Award on to you (and 14 other people). Feel free to accept it or not.

http://randomthoughtsfrommidlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/rapunzel-speaks-and-gives-out-awards/

Just Another Hat said...

I love Zumba. I was taking a study break at 3AM and watched the infomercial for it. Needless to say that I ended up buying it (back in 2003). My roommate and I were sore for days after doing just the instructional part. But it was so much fun.

By the way, you should totally plan on going to Pretend City someday. The museum is too cute and my pictures don't do it justice. Thanks for stopping by.

Russo said...

Okay, the fact that you can eveen do Zumba impresses me. Seriously, I tried and I tried over my own feet, so kudos to you!