~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 14, 2011

Scotty, You Know the Drill

I've been catching bits and pieces of all the Star Trek movies on the SyFy channel over the past 2 weeks or so. Although it would have been nice to sit and watch them all, I could probably recite them. Star Trek III: The One With the Cheesiest Klingon Villain Ever; Star Trek VI: The One With the Classiest Klingon Villain (as evidenced by Christopher Plummer's eloquent Shakespeare recitation). The Final Frontier is probaly the trippiest of all the movies, unless you count the whole time travel sequence from The Voyage Home, or, The One Where Kirk Covers for Spock by Claiming He Did Too Much LDS in the Sixties (that may only be funny to our local readers, but it sure makes me snort). The newest J.J. Abrams version (The One Where Maegan Realizes She's Unequivocally a Spock Girl) helped me pass the time when I was sick last week. It did my geeky little heart some good. I even endured the second half of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, or, The One Where Nothing Ever Happens.

Just last Wednesday, the space shuttle Discovery touched down after its final voyage. That evening, I heard an interview with former U.S. Senator Jake Garn, who got to fly on Discovery in the 80's. It really brought back that sense of awe I had as a child, when I used to stare up at the stars and wonder what - or who - was out there. Possibly even staring back at me. (Side note: When I was about 10, I went through a phase where I was honestly terrified of being abducted by aliens. That was my proverbial monster in the closet.)



Video Courtesy of KSL.com



Was it coincidence that the SyFy channel decided to run a Star Trek marathon when this was happening? I like to think not. It's sad that NASA has to discontinue the shuttle program. They say it's so they can use the funds to send astronauts beyond low-earth orbit instead, which sounds unbelievably cool - one step closer to Gene Roddenberry's optimistic vision of the future. Let's hope it works out that way.

Whether it's space travel, deep sea exploration, or even storytelling, we're constantly testing the boundaries of our own reality. We have to know, to go beyond, and we'll never be satisfied until we get there. It's human nature. If Starfleet was real, I'd totally sign up. If you're reading this Scotty, beam me up any time. I'm ready.



7 comments:

SillySimple said...

Space exploration is such an imaginative topic. Whether it is Star Trek, an Apollo mission, or something after the space shuttle. It is one of those boundaries that it is just fascinating.

Janiel Miller said...

I felt the same way as a kid. I used to go up on our roof and gaze at the stars. There was less pollution and you could see the Milky Way like it was about to pour all over you. Very cool. I'm with you: they ever get Starfleet going, I'm there. Probably as a food-replicator-cleanup-lady, given my age and expertise, but I'd be IN THE STARS, BABY!

Very much enjoyed this post. Especially the bit about testing the boundaries of our own reality through storytelling.

Cool.

Romina Garcia said...

Hi! So glad I stopped by!
Awesome blog.
I'm your new follower on GFC :-)
You can reach me at:
http://rominagarciamartyrhood.blogspot.com/

Let'sMakeADifference said...

You write the NICEST comments! You are a talented writer! I love visiting your blog...love the floating shamrocks too!!

Self Sagacity said...

There are so many great movies, but one genre I really love is Sci-Fi. I don't get to watch movies often, just Disney, cartoons, you know what I mean...

Angela said...

Love the way you write. Thanks for visiting my blog and I look forward to reading more of yours!
Angela from Mommy Time Out

Russo said...

Maegan, I always enjoy reading your posts because you always think out of the box to inspire. You are original which makes you a great writer!