~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, April 8, 2011

Hats Off to Maegan and Russo

Today I tribute my two lovely blog-partners, Maegan and Russo. And I tribute them because they have added to my life in ways they don't even know about, and I am feeling all verklempt right now. Don't know why I'm feeling all verklempt. Could be a hormonal thing--I AM premenopausal, after all. Or it could be the fact that I just had my teeth whitened and I'm not allowed to eat chocolate or anything red for two days, which is making me a bit whackadoo.


Whatever the reason, my two chickie-babe-friends deserve a shout-out. So here it is:


Russo: This dudette never gives up. Not. For. A. Moment. You may have gathered from a few of her posts that her life has not been a bed of roses. Or maybe it has been - a bed with thorns. You would not know that by hanging with the woman. She has a perma-smile on her face and is always upbeat. She laughs easily and loudly and has no problem talking about things she has learned in life--things most people would put under lock and key and never let out. Russo lets them out, and we are better for it. It's nice to see someone who has been through so much coming out the other side with a smile on her face and hand-sanitizer in her purse. And her pocket. And in her jockey-box. And probably tucked into her awesome and epic hair-piece.


The thing about Russo? She learns. She takes notes. She studies. She never stops trying to improve herself. Look at her writing, if you want an example. She started out great on our blog: frank, honest, open, funny. Now she writes posts that are often brilliant. They have the same ingredients as at the beginning, but are more seasoned and savvy, and hit her points dead-on..  As for that urge to improve herself? She spreads it around. Those of you in whose blogs she has left comments know this. People in our critique group really do save her comments on their manuscripts because they are so encouraging and personal and insightful. This is a woman with a heart of gold.


Russo needs to be bottled and sold. Everyone needs a little bit of her in their lives.


Maegan: She has referred to herself as a barn-rat (partly because she works with animals). At first I took umbrage at this because she is a beautiful girl. Want proof? Go back to her earliest posts on our blog and look at her picture (back when we thought we were going to use the same picture of ourselves with each post so people would know who we were. Duh.) In particular, look at her eyes. Yeah, I know. They look right through you and make you want to know what she's thinking, right? And it would be worth finding out, because her thoughts are careful and brilliant, and pretty much spot-on. About everything. Wait until you read the book she's writing. Her insight into the tiny bits of us that make us tick will give you shivers.


Maegan is methodical and works very hard. She has more discipline than I'll ever have, and I'm old enough to be hers and Russo's mother big sister. She is calm and fair and has a tenderness of heart that is sometimes guarded, but comes out in her writing. Look for it. You'll see it.  You'll also find it in her magical hand at working with animals. She understands them and loves them in a way they can feel; strays have Maeg-dar. They always find her, showing up in her driveway or yard. And she always takes care of them and gets them back home. It's quiet tenderness. You'll find it in the way she still accepts you, even when you're a giant spaz and talk too much and too intensely, and have to retract half of what you say, and are sometimes overwhelming. (That's just an example. We don't know anyone like that.)


So do you see why I'm lucky to share this blog with my two gnome-slaying compadres? And share our critique group? And a few bakeries, smoothie shops, Indian restaurants, bookstores, basements with big TV's, and on occasion, my mini-van (in which we have gotten lost too many times)?


Stick around. You need to get to  know them better.

13 comments:

Robin said...

I love this. I have seen exactly what you say in both Russo and Maegan. I'm glad to have you all.

Heather said...

Russo... I tried to find an email link to reply to your question but sadly couldn't find one... so this will have to do.

Thank you for visiting and following me at Teens and a Toddler (I already follow you :-)

Regarding your Tea question... I am in love love love with the Peach and Tropica Rooibios (which is a no caffeine red and white tea blend) and I also love the Peach white tea they have at Teavana. I like fruity not so much on the spice like chai and such. Today my Pear Luna should get here. I am excited, strange I know.

Now is a good time to order some tea from teavana, they have free shipping (for mothers day, no minimum order) and use the code Save10 and you will get 10$ off your order of 30$ or more (might work on 25$). I have ordered again breaking it into two orders to use the coupon twice... you can't do that in the stores!

Good luck and enjoy!!!

jenna said...

A perfect sum up of the lovely Maegan. I have a feeling she'll cringe at the praise, but buck up Chica. It's all true.

This post makes me wish I knew Russo too.

Janiel Miller said...

Eh it's good for her. For both of them. They go into hiding too much. It was time to out them.

Sara B. Larson said...

What a lovely post! You are ALL amazing women, and I'm glad to know you. Your comments always brighten my days. I miss seeing you guys. *hugs*

Maegan Langer said...

Oh, wow. I so needed this today, you have no idea (or do you?). Although, I still maintain and take pride in my barn rat-ness :) Thanks Janiel, and everyone who commented!

mymy said...

i agree, Russo is so encouraging everytime she visits. love ya! :)

CinnyBBS said...

I think I have to agree with all of the above posts. I can't say I have anymore to add. :) Have a wonderful weekend, ladies!

Russo said...

Janiel, this is so sweet of you. Thank you so much for making my day/

I am so lucky to have you and Maegan as my dear friends. Your kindness was much appreciated after a crazy week. I think the world of you.

1 Funky Woman said...

Perfectly wonder post! I so enjoy reading you three and hope by reading you all I'll be able to soak up your wit and writing skills!

How lovely to have such amazing girlfriends!

Megan

Self Sagacity said...

So great to read about your blog partners. Definitely want to be a regular here.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Russo, thanks for the ego-boosting comment in my blog! I love visiting this blog because of the great contents :)

laura@imnotatrophywife.com said...

Russo always comments and always makes me smile! laura@imnotatrophywife.com