~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, May 9, 2011

To Do's & To Done's

1. I celebrated Mother's Day by seeing Thor with my mom on Saturday. Not bad. I also watched part of Almighty Thor on SyFy channel. Not so much.

The movie - talking about Thor here, not the shameless SyFy version - sure made my inner little mythology nerd happy, even if my inner little horse nerd wishes that Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged battle steed, had gotten more than a cameo.

2. I'm starting to notice a pattern in my blog posts, in that most of them qualify for the "adventures in geekdom" tag. Hmm . . .

3. On Wednesday, I realized I made a wrong turn in the plotting of my book. Soon after this realization, I vented my feelings to Janiel and Russo in a Facebook message that may or may not have contained a few bad words.

The good news is, fixing this wrong turn will solve a problem further on down the road that I knew was coming but didn't have the answer to until now. The bad news is, I have to cut two chapters that I rather like. Since I can't quite make myself murder these darlings, I've set them aside for now in hopes they'll come in handy later.

4. Elana Johnson did a great post this week on getting out of your own way. Holy blinking firebugs (Batman), do I ever have a problem with this, in writing and in life. Coincidentally, our friend sleye1 linked to a nifty little article about how The Beatles applied this very principle.

5. Here's my favorite thing of the week. A friend of mine who lives in China took this picture of a revolutionary in a Shanghai park (shared with permission).



Dude is writing poetry on the asphalt with water. It's hard to articulate exactly why I love this so much. Maybe because it shows the power of words, for good or bad. Once they're out there, they're out there forever. All it takes is just one person to read them, even if they're as fleeting as water evaporated by the sun. Thanks for this, Tom and Zoe :)

8 comments:

Janiel Miller said...

Major coolness in postage. posting. postering. You know what I mean. REALLY like this post. Love the picture. How gorgeous. Wish I knew what he was writing.

Nice little list. Is Thor worth a visit, then?

William Kendall said...

My inner geek is ready to see the film, even though due to scheduling issues I'll have to wait a few days....

Rumor has it Hemsworth's looks are really drawing in the ladies to see the film. Safe to say this wouldn't have happened with that pale as a ghost Alex Skarsgard in the role, right?

Ca.ll.y said...

Love, love, love the picture. Can I reshare?

Janiel Miller said...

William, I have to say that Hemsworth would draw me in, and I'm seriously married. Of course, I won't actually look at him, or anything. Or, I might look, but I won't care. Or something.

Hm. I might have been safer with Skarsgard . . .

Sara B. Larson said...

Hmm, can't decide if I want to see this movie or not. Sounds like you enjoyed it though...

Also, what an amazing picture. Wow.

And finally, Janiel, I just read your last post and dang girl. You definitely have a reason to still be here. Wow. Again.

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

I love the picture too~~ Very powerful!

Maegan Langer said...

Yes, Thor is definitely worth a visit, as is Mr. Hemsworth. Very easy on the eyes, you know :)

Cally, you are more than welcome to repost the pic. I have the go-ahead straight from the source.

Russo said...

Maegan, this is definatly cool from Thor to the incredible picture. I wish I had your brain, you come up with some fun posts