~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 20, 2011

From the Trenches

Hello Gnome Slayers! I'm afraid this post'll be short, sweet and mostly written by other people. I'm just taking a quick break from staring at the computer screen getting back into working on my book.

First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on my last post. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and encouragement.

Remember last week how I said I had to cut 2K some-odd words and it was like the worst thing ever? Well that very same day, Natalie Whipple did a great post on editing, or thinning the crop, that really put things back into perspective. Always superb writing advice, that girl has.

Our pal Maleah over at Smashing Stories talks about the benefits of hitching well-broke horses to your wagon instead of a herd of wild buffalo. How's that for a metaphor?

Finally, the dude behind How Not to Write details in 6 easy steps how to get back to writing after an absence. So far, I've mastered purging and stopping. I'm working on showing up. I should be back to actual writing sometime before Labor Day.

Have you ever noticed how the Universe sometimes puts certain things in your way just when you most need them? Because these posts all covered stuff that I happen to be struggling with right now. It's nice and all, but seriously Universe! Quit reading my mind. It's getting creepy.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I love it when Serendipity shows up and drops a treasure in your lap, just when you're in a place to recognize it's value.

It's happening to me to, and I remind myself not to do a U-turn and run screaming the other direction. I've been taking deep steadying breaths and then sallying forth into the unknown.

My kiddo and I are going to our first ever writing conference next month. Commitment made, registration paid for. It's exciting and scary. [What if they say out loud that I'm just as mediocre as I already know I am? Then everyone else will know, too. The horrors!] I'm letting my inner drama queen have free reign now so she can work it out of her system before I get there.

FrankandMary said...

The universe often puts plausible theories in my way. I just cast them aside :o.~Mary

Russo said...

Well said, my friend. Loved the last paragraph and I loved the blog suggestions. I may have to follow your lead and take a break from the computer :)

And kudos to Maleah!

Janiel Miller said...

I love that you realize that your need for a break is sometimes legitimate. And that the universe is cool with it and even helps you along the way. Great stuff in your links too, thanks!

Maegan Langer said...

Robin, you and the kiddo will have so much fun! My experience of writers' conferences is that people are always super encouraging and supportive of each other. (And everyone else is probably just as nervous as you are.)