~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, July 15, 2011

Anniversary, Food, and Kickin' It Chilly-Willy in Seattle

Hey Dudelets!


I am so sorry I'm late. I'm in Seattle right now and it's an hour earlier here. So, as far as I'm concerned I'm only like 4 hours late getting this post up, not 5.


And let me just say that Seattle does know how to do its bacon-wrapped dates, gyros, greek lemon soup, breakfast sandwiches, bratwurst with sauerkraut, bienenshtich, and herb salad. 


I gain 5 pounds whenever I come up here. But it's an awesome place. And its going to get even awesomer in just a minute when I leave with my peeps to go see the last "Harry Potter" flick. I KNOW! I'll let you know how it goes.


This month marks the 1 year anniversary of our blog. I actually started thinking about creating one clear back a year ago last April during a writer's conference we all help with. Maegan and I were sitting on the stairs judging an opening-sentence contest (all of whose entries centered on people waking up dead, by the way. wonder what that means), and we both sort of simultaneously told each other that we ought to start a blog together. And we ought to grab Russo to do it with us.  We all had been hanging with each other outside of our writing class, going to see movies, etc. This seemed like a logical extension of that. Especially since most of our convos when we hung together were hilarious, solved most of the world's problems, and often involved a lot of angst. WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO READ ABOUT STUFF LIKE THAT? we asked ourselves.


And then we answered ourselves: NO ONE WOULN'T WANT TO! And thus "Challenging the Gnome" was born. (Actually that's not really how we answered ourselves. We answered ourselves this way: "Do you think anyone will, you know, want to, like, read anything we write? I don't know. We're not that bright. No one knows who we are. Maybe everyone will like comment about how lame we are. Maybe no one will comment! Oh no! Maybe we'll last like a week and then get letters urging us to quit. OR, maybe we'll get stalked. Yeah. That could happen. Ooohh, how creepy. Maybe we shouldn't blog. OR we might get famous and a movie might get made based on our blog. Yeah! But probably not.)


We're not neurotic.


In any case, we have loved doing this. Maegan and Russo have brightened my life in ways they probably don't know about--unless they read my post where I tributed them--but they truly have. As have all of you who have commented, and whose warm fuzzies we feel on a regular basis. Thanks to all of you! We are loving it! And we are humbled by your kind support. Thank you so much.


Keep challenging your gnomes, people! Together we've almost created world peace!


Hearts. 

8 comments:

shelly said...

World peace? Thought I my blog did that.

sueallen2546 said...

Chowing down on fish in Seattle I want that. Missed you all.

densleyjazzfan said...

U had me @ bacon wrapped dates.

Robin said...

Happy Blogiversary! So glad you started it!

William Kendall said...

World peace? Just in time for that taking over the world scheme I've been working on....

Janiel Miller said...

Sorry William. We've already done it. We know it's hard to tell, but it's true.

Thanks guys!

Janiel Miller said...

Sue! Glad to see you again! Haven't heard from you in a while. Unless I'm hallucinating. Am I? On this blog, we never know . . .

Russo said...

Dang, Janiel you made me teary. Writing this blog with you two has been an absoltue blast. I gotta say I freaking love your Seattle posts- I especially died at the mention of greek lemon soup. Can I say YUM.