~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 4, 2011

Feeling Patriotic, Plus a Contest




My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love; I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills.
My heart with rapture thrills,
Like that above.*





Happy 4th of July, everybody! As I get older, I try to think of this day as more than an excuse to indulge my love of s'mores or write my name in the air with sparklers or catch the latest loud, explosion-laden, save-the-world-from-aliens/robot aliens/giant asteroid-flick with the fam (all fine ways to celebrate, btw).

I've been to a few places that aren't America, places that were all beautiful and interesting and fabulous. But the neatest thing about traveling is that it makes you realize all over again how much you love home. We may not be a perfect country, but we are a country where We the People get to choose our own individual and collective destiny. And for that I'm grateful. On this anniversary of our independence, I'm here to say that the United States is a fine place to live, and American is a fine thing to be.

In other news: Hey, we have a contest going on, folks! As in our first contest ever, in honor of our first year of Challenging the Gnome. Ever. With prizes! The grand prize being your very own copy of HOW TO SURVIVE A GARDEN GNOME ATTACK, because when those darn Gnomes aren't assaulting your confidence or stifling your creativity, they're ravaging your garden and figuring out how to infiltrate your home. We want you, dear readers, to be prepared for the coming Gnopocalypse.

To enter, leave a silly caption for the hideous picture of yours truly below in the comments. Click here for Janiel's pic and a more detailed rundown of the contest.

Go ahead. Make us laugh. We dare you.




*My Country, 'Tis of Thee,
Samuel F. Smith

8 comments:

shelly said...

Stuff this in your pie hole.

Robin said...

"Dude, if I give you this, will you PLEASE stop stalking me?"

jjsundevil said...

a big hi 2 my 3 fave girls

Janiel Miller said...

Hi back, dude! :)

blueviolet said...

Ok, I stink at captions, totally stink, but I have to say that it's not that bad of a shot! Seriously!

Maegan Langer said...

Ha ha, thanks blueviolet! And thanks everyone for your captions y'all are making me laugh!

Russo said...

Maegan, I adore this pic, the color of your shirt is stunning. Anyways, I love how you put in the 4th of July tribute.

Jen McNaughton said...

Oh I don't think I should've pulled the scab off! It's bleeding pretty bad now.