~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 25, 2011

Tair Can Gymraeg

Three Welsh Songs

I spent the last week at a Welsh course in Virginia. Five hours of language classes per day combined with the insane heat and humidity have left my brains scrambled and fried. Since I'm still in the whole Welsh mode, I thought I'd share some of what I love most about the culture of Wales: the music.

Calon Lan (A Pure Heart) - a Welsh hymn. Check out the lyrics and a translation here.



Ar Hyd y Nos (All Through the Night) - a folksong. More lyrics here.



Mor o Gariad (Sea of Love) - As you've probably guessed, this one's a love song. A sad, rather depressing love song. (Is there any other kind?) Trust me, it's better if you don't know what the lyrics mean. The tune is lovely. Just pretend like he's singing about sunshine and fuzzy little bunny rabbits.



That's all for now, but do come back tomorrow for some more of my favorite songs from the, uh, land of song.

7 comments:

jenna said...

so awesome, Maegan!

Shelly said...

Very nice and calming, too.

Janiel Miller said...

Ahhhh, lovely! Gotta give the Welsh more cred. I'm proud of my Welsh blood. Hope your trip was grand!

Maegan Langer said...

It was indeed grand, Janiel :-) Welsh-blooded people of the world unite!

blueviolet said...

What lovely pieces, and what a cool thing you're doing to learn the language.

Maegan Langer said...

Diolch pawb!/Thanks everybody!

Russo said...

First off, the picture under the bride is just stunning. Its so freaking cool you know how to speak Welsh. Your dedication just amazes me, girl. It takes alot to learn a new language. The way the first video is my fave.