~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, August 15, 2011

Overwhelmed, In a Good Way

I may have mentioned - I don't know, maybe once or twice - that I'm kind of a fan of all things Welsh. You could call it obsessive. Weird, even. That's okay. I embrace the weirdness. A lot of good things have come my way since I started this journey of learning the Welsh language, things that wouldn't have come my way otherwise.Would you like to hear the latest? Because I'm dying to tell you.

OHMYGOSHI'MTOTALLYGOINGTONEWZEALAND!!

Sorry, did you catch that? I'm going to New Zealand (hereafter referred to as "Middle Earth") this fall. I know, right? I will simply walk into Mordor for a ten day tour with the North American Welsh Choir. You may hate me if you wish.

Here's where the overwhelmed part comes in. We have to memorize about twenty songs, only two of which are in English. One's in Latin, one in Maori, a couple I'm pretty sure are just made-up nonsense words, and the rest are Welsh. As the choir's name suggests, we're spread all over North America. It's not like there are regular practices I can go to or anything. In fact, the first rehearsal with the whole choir will be in Auckland, two days before a concert! Until then, it's all independent study.

Oh yeah, I've got the worry bug. My little Fangxiety gnome has been doing a tap-dance ever since I got the song list. But I figure I'll just tackle this like any big project: little bits at a time. Two songs a week.

On that note (pun intended), it's been awhile since we had a Welsh song, so here's last week's assignment. It's beautiful and sweet and oh, how I hate this song right now. The lyrics are kicking my butt. But how cute is little Christian Bale? I have to say this movie traumatized me big-time as a kid. I still can't watch it.



Anybody else feeling overwhelmed this week? Work? Writing? School starting?

9 comments:

Cassidy Jo said...

Ha, that's so exciting! Yes, I'm more than a little jealous but excited for you; I can't believe we didn't talk about this on Saturday! Best of luck, Maegan :) Love your writing voice. Cya this week sometime...

Maegan Langer said...

Cassidy!! Thanks for commenting! And welcome to the blogger world. Now we just need to get you on Facebook ;)

Beth@Wiccan Make Some Too said...

Oh how wickedly awesome for you! I would love to travel to Middle Earth myself. Take tons of photos to share with us!

Robin said...

Maegan! Yay! I hope you have a fab time.

I was traumatized by Empire of the Sun, too. I can't watch it, either. [shudder]

Good luck with the song learning. You'll do fine. And even if you don't, it's not like they're going to send you home. New Zealand is nice that way.

Janiel Miller said...

Oh, girl! You KNOW you'd better post from Middle Earth. And I want the CD of your performances. How exciting for you! Mele Kalikimaka!

(Yeah, it's Hawaiian. I don't speak Maori.)

Cassidy Jo said...

Haha thanks, we'll see... awesome profile pic :)

William Kendall said...

"One does not simply walk into Mordor..."

Russo said...

I hear you, girl on getting overwhelmed. I still can't believe you're gonna be in New Zealand soon. "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard."' Sorry I couldn't resist:) So freaking cool and take tons of pics for us.

Russo said...

PS- Is lame to say I'm gonna miss ya?!