~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, September 23, 2011

Run For Fun! Kill Me Now!


I hate running.
And not just a little bit.
I hate, loathe, despise, and abominate running.


Dancing. That's what I like. I could dance and dance until the moon turned blue. Even at my age. I used to dance six hours a day. It was like breathing to me. And I was in wicked-awesome shape, too. I could run up hundreds of stairs without the slightest gasp. Had quadruceps on my quadruceps. And I almost had a 6-pack (Okay, fine. It was a four-pack. But I wasn't on a food-free diet, and I wasn't doing steroids. So, you know, I kind of think it was legit.)


That was then. This is now. Now I have four kids and no six hours a day to dance. But I've gotta move, or my back freezes up like teenage boy on his first date, and my ribs go out and leave me to spend the evening by myself.


So I run. And I do it every day. And it bores the living shortcake out of me because there are no leaps, no battements, no voltas, no botafogos, and definitely no heel-turn-spins. Also no buck-rhythm time steps. My four-pack is a one-pack, my quads look like my hams (which look like the honey-baked ham we had for dinner), and I wheeze jumping up from the couch to answer the phone. But I run.


So, this last weekend I was whining to my husband about it as I went out the door to drag myself through a few miles of not dancing and not having fun while not dancing. And he said "Why do you hate running?"


After looking at him like, duh, I said, "Because I don't have fun doing it."


Then he said, "Why? Why don't you have fun doing it?" (this from the man who just finished a 100-mile foot race through the Rocky Mountains. Yeah. We'll discuss his mental fitness later.)


So I said, " . . . . . . . . "


And he just looked at me right back.


Finally I realized he was telling me that if I wasn't having fun running, it was my own fault. I could have fun running, if I decided running was a fun thing to do. Like, fun because it was time spent by myself; me time, if you will. Fun because I do it in the morning and mornings are peaceful. Fun because my legs are moving and my lungs are moving and this tells me I'm alive, and at my age that's a good thing. Fun because my blood pumps and my muscles hurt the next day, which means they're getting strong. And above all, I grow a butt and it fits into my jeans instead of hanging out somewhere around the backs of my knees.


OH! *insert sound effect that accompanies epiphanies here* So like, whether or not I enjoy what I am doing has to do with the attitude I bring to it. I decide whether I hate, loathe, despise, and abominate it or not. And if I do, I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't fun.


Huh. Well. I think life should be fun. So, rather than waiting for someone else to make it fun, I'm going to make it fun. I'll start by grinning at the gym tomorrow. I hope it fools my legs into thinking they're doing a wicked Samba on the treadmill. Because that would be fun!


(Now, if you feel like it, tell me what you do to make odious tasks more enjoyable. I'd love to learn!)



13 comments:

shelly said...

Well, you should like the gym. There's people to talk to. That's fun. I can't go to the gym anymore b/c I can't trusted to not over do. I've got issues with my adrenals and if I'm a member of a gym, I'll go everyday and stay for a good two hours. Now, I do what the doctor says, workour three times a week no longer than thirty minutes each time. So yeah, have fun at the gym. I miss it.

Janiel Miller said...

Wow. I'm sorry about the adrenal issues. My brother has some too. It's hard. I'm working on loving it as much as you do. Impressive that you could go for two hours! I hope things improve for you.

Lynn said...

I agree with you, Dancing is SOOO much more fun than running. I am sorry Bruce, but running is BORING. I mean kill me now boring. Dancing beats the socks off it any day.

jjsundevil said...

Me luvs this blog
U 3 rock the sock hop till the frog hops

Skylar Magazine said...

I really don't like running, it's hard on my knees, but I enjoy walking and going to the gym, when I am motivated enough to do it. Dancing With the Stars is what motivates me, especially Kym Johnson and Anna...those bodies are what inspire me to go to the gym. Of course, how do they get their bodies like that...mostly, dancing. I've always wanted to take dance...I'm a procrastinator though (sorry know I spelled that wrong). Someday. Anyway, I'm Sarah, I am a new follower from the Super Saturday blog hop and would love for you to come follow mine http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/. Thanks and have a great weekend. ps There's always time for dancing, maybe you could make it a fun activity for the kids. Kids love to dance.

OutnumberedMama said...

Hopping by to say HI! I am your newest follower, and I hope you will stop over to return the favor! The Busy Woman's Guide to Surviving Motherhood

maiylah said...

am not much into dancing (somehow my body freezes over when i try to dance, lol) so i think i'd like running. what i love most is just walking and walking and walking, though...with my camera. :)

mymy said...

i agree...we should make it fun, even if it sometimes becomes a tedious chore. that's why sometimes when i do some house cleaning (it gets pretty boring if you do it everyday, lol) i put on my headphones and do some 'singing'. :D

Janiel Miller said...

Ah, I agree with all of you! Walking is so much nicer than running--But I can get running 3 miles over with a bit more quickly than walking them. :) And Mymy, singing while you work is the bomb. Love doing that.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Michelle said...

Such inspiration, thanks for sharing! I am visiting from Boost Your Blog Friday and I am a new follower! Hope to see you around soon!
Have a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Maegan Langer said...

I'm not a fan of running either. I wish I was, but I'm not. My brain and my knees get pretty mad every time I try to do it. I do enjoy going to the gym, though. I just make sure I only do exercises I enjoy doing. I read on the recliner bike. I listen to my latest iTunes downloads while speed-walking on the treadmill. I watch a good true-crime murder mystery on the elliptical.

Attitude is so much in life. We can decide to love or hate whatever we do. Easier said than done, but it's true.

But I can't help wondering: How come you don't dance anymore? You don't have to spend 6 hours a day doing it, but if you love it so much, why stop? You could take a class. Heck, you could probably teach a class. Just sayin.'

William Kendall said...

I've never understood the running/jogging mentality that you see a lot of.

I get a lot of exercise... walking, swimming, rock climbing, and I have fun with that sort of exercise. But the runners? No, that's not for me. You see a fair amount of brigades of running clubs in my area (there's a store nearby called the Running Room, and I suspect the runners like to suffer in company).

They can have it. I'll exercise in enjoyable ways.

Russo said...

I love how you word things,"bores the living shortcake out of me." I giggled when I read that again, your posts always have a way of getting me to think, tahnk you for that.

Ps- You forgot to mention how you were there to support him all the way during his major marathon race. You are supportive to those around you and its quite cool.