~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 24, 2011

Nothing Ruins Your Day Like . . .

I love Halloween. I love everything about October. One of my favorite things about this time of year is the parade of scary movies on TV. I just finished watching The Unborn for the first time. I'll admit: the trailer scared the blinking firebugs out of me. I mean, terrifying. Truly. If you don't believe me, you can watch it for yourself here. (But be warned: TER-ifying.)

This is why it took me two years to watch it. I wanted to, but I was too sceered. So when it turned up on TV, I thought maybe it was time to finally face this thing head-on. You know, grab the bull by the horns. Get it out of my system. Plus, I was too lazy to do anything else.

Well, let me tell you. The Unborn? Not. Scary. Just a bunch of flashy effects painted around a weak story and flat characters I didn't care much about. Not even Idris Elba and Gary Oldman - who I love - could rescue this sad, sad excuse for a fright fest. Seriously, dudes! What went wrong?



"At least I have the Dark Knight to fall back on."

"I wonder if that regional manager position is still open at The Office . . ."















It's one thing when you're expecting cheese (whatup, SyFy channel). It's quite another when the trailer is scary and the actual movie is not. Sigh. I hate to say it, but I'm feeling rather disappointed at the moment.

Whenever something like this happens, I like to play a little game called, "Nothing ruins your day like . . ." Nothing ruins your day like a lame-o scary movie. Nothing ruins your day like biting into a piece stale chocolate. A sewage back-up. Road construction. Kanye West. Know what I mean?

What about you guys? What are some of the things that ruin your day?

6 comments:

William Kendall said...

I remember this film having fromage written all over it. Gary and Idris obviously were doing it in between better jobs.

Let's see... what ruins my day? Well, an email from one of my sisters rates as a ruin the day prospect...

Robin said...

Thanks for the tip, Maegan. I'll put that on my Do Not View list.

Nothing ruins my day like vomit.

Or maybe a dead body. A human one, because we get plenty of dead animal bodies around here and I can deal with them. They put a damper on my day, but don't ruin it. Unless it's a pet. That would ruin my day.

Janiel Miller said...

Omigosh! William! That's so sad! Hopefully the Three Gnomie-Sistahs don't ruin anyone's day. And I'm happy to avoid this fromage-y movie.

What ruins my day, Maegs? Sleeping in. Missing my alarm and not getting my workout in before the kidlets wake up. Yep. Throws my whole day off. Another thing: really looking forward to a movie and it turning out to be, well, fromage. Star Wars parts 1-3 come to mind. And honestly, the current Three Musketeers looks like it should be good but has terrible dialogue in the trailers alone. And Mila doing ninja moves in a corset and 70 pound dress? Um. No. I might go just to listen to Matthew MacFayden's dulcet voice, however . . .

Also, involuntary gaseous emissions at inopportune moments. That seriously ruins my day. TMI?

Sara B. Larson said...

I don't do scary movies. Not a fan. My imagination is bad enough. ;)

Janiel Miller said...

I agree with Robin. And Sara. Also, we had some tomcats fighting on our porch yesterday. It was a horrible sound - like babies in distress. That seriously ruined my day.

Russo said...

Oh, I may not be able to watch the Unborn. Scary movies do me in.

Ah, Idris Elba- isn't he on Luther on BBC. Oh major hottie who ever he is :)

Hmm, good question-what are some of the things that ruin your day? Lets see for me its traffic and snowstorms when traveling to work. :)