~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, December 16, 2011

Batman and Writing. It All Works Out In The End. Pretty Much.

Hey.
I've been working on my book for, like, ever now. And not to whine, but, *whine* I thought it would be easier than this. *end whine* I mean does anyone appreciate, when they pick up a little paperback to throw away a weekend on (er, but since I'm a writer I know that that sentence should actually be structured such that it doesn't end on a preposition. Like this: "when they pick up a little paperback upon which to throw away a weekend." This is why I will be published soon), what it took to write the thing?


Well, I'll tell you so you know, if you don't already: It took blood. Sweat. Tears. 87 metric tons of chocolate dipped oreos with little peppermint sprinkles, $5,000 in therapy, a new wardrobe (oh it's necessary, trust me), a new laptop because the first one slipped in the diet coke puddle on your desk falling almost to the floor where you instinctively reached to grab it but ended up batting it through the window onto the garden flagstones instead, a gym membership (which has nothing to do with the chocolate dipped oreos), physical therapy for writer's elbow, and a pair of new prescription glasses. Also a new wardrobe. Can't emphasize that one enough.


That's what it took.


Yet half the time what the writer started out to write was not what they ended up with. You know, you had this vision, right? And it was golden! It was going to be beautiful. So you wrote and wrote, and instead of coming off like a superhero, what you got was, well . . . something like this:





Yep. Something that was a bit dorkier and chubbier than you had hoped for. And several times it even tried to slink away and turn into something else when you weren't looking. But you sighed and turned away to do a little self-talk, a little "hey, I'm doing the best I can. And it's not too bad. I mean, it gets the job done, right?" And then you kept going.

I suppose it's all about the process anyway. What we learn along the way.

Which is a good thing. Because most of the time when I get things right, I don't even know why. I just know it ended up being okay. Kind of like . . . 



Yeah. There's hope for us all.



9 comments:

Robin said...

Wahh-hahahahaha.

Multiple choice.

My side hurts.

Norma Beishir said...

Eighteen books and none of them turned out to be what I set out to write. Characters have a way of taking over the story....

Janiel Miller said...

Indeed. And you've given me hope, as your characters have let you get to the end of the book 18 times. Thanks for chiming in!

Janiel Miller said...

Rob - If your sides hurt, our job here is done.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Loved this! I would love to write a book! Nothing very heavy. Though I think I may need may need closer to 100 metric tons of OREOS if I ever start working on it seriously.

It's interesting you ended up with a different product that you started off with. I'm guessing your book will be much more than OK!

Janiel Miller said...

Thank you, GG Mom! I hope you get a chance to write your book. I think the world could use a bit more "nothing very heavy."

Maegan Langer said...

I'll analyze it! With SCIENCE!

William Kendall said...

Oh, I'm falling about laughing!

And you can never go wrong with oreos. Just saying.

Russo said...

I think every now and then ya gotta whine, its freeing. I absolutly love your second paragragh, you are so right (especially with the oreos) :)