~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, December 30, 2011

I Am Suffering . . .

 . . . from post-Christmas-mortem.


My decorations that once looked festive, cheery, and quixotic, now look drab and jejune. (Do you know why I know that word? Jejune? Because I have been lying around watching Frasier reruns instead of doing all the organizational things I was going to do over the holidays. And instead of skiing, because it is freaking raining in the mountains. And because I just feel like it.) (Jejune means dull and insipid, if you must know. And even if you mustn't.)


All that food on my counter from my lovely neighbors that once looked exciting and thrilling (the food, not the neighbors. Although most of my neighbors do look exciting and thrilling. Not to be weird, but you know, sometimes people just look exciting and thrill . . . oh, never mind) now just looks old and fattening (once again, the food, not the neighbors.)


Weird how that happens, isn't it? Leading up to an event, everything that surrounds it seems wondrous and bright. But once it's over? Eh.


So what to do?


Well, I'm going to put up a gold glitter tree after I take down my good-for-kindling-Christmas-tree. I will hang it with icicles and call it my January Tree.


I'm going to have my kids make snowflakes and hang them all over the mantle. Along with whatever I can find that looks all crystal-y at our local crafts store that is going out of business and now everything is 70% off. (Which gives me an odd feeling-mix of sadness and I-FOUND-A-DEAL joy).


I am going to eat a lot of salads containing winter fruit for lunch. And I'm making a giant garbage bag-sized load of homemade granola, with pecans, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, brown sugar, and cinnamon in it for us to eat at breakfast.


Then I'm going to write each day. And read each day. And hug my people each day.


I don't know why this stuff makes me feel better. It just does. Possibly because my house needs the cheer and the smells of something festive in winter. And without Christmas, I've gotta make up some lovely January traditions instead. These are the start of mine.


Oh, I can't stand it! I have to take just one last nostalgic look (with a bow to Maegan for putting me back onto Big Bang Theory):



Awww. Now I feel all festive again!

Happy New Year, peeps!


10 comments:

shelly said...

Happy New Year back!

jenna said...

I like the way you think. And when I read the word "jejune" I thought of Frasier immediately! Man, I love that show... and Niles in particular.

Janiel Miller said...

Thanks Shelly!

Jenna- I LOVE Niles too! David Hyde Pierce is one of the best physical comedians I've ever seen, and I miss him terribly. Dick Van Dyke was like that.

bailey said...

hey im your new follower! i hope you can follow me back at
baysbooks.blogspot.com
thanks

A Helicopter Mom said...

I love your ideas, especially the January tree with snowflakes. I was just sitting here thinking that I'm not ready to put away the tree and Christmas decorations. Think I'll give it another week and then maybe do some snowflake decorating myself. ;)

Happy New Year!
Mickey

Janiel Miller said...

Have fun, Mickey! And Happy New Year to you!

Robin said...

Just watched the clip of Big Bang Theory. Hilarious. Wish we got TV out here.

Maegan Langer said...

I love Niles too! And I love Sheldon. And Penny. And Leonard.

After all the fuss over the holidays, it's easy to get the January doldrums. Good for you for keeping the festivities alive!

William Kendall said...

My mother puts out snowman decorations through January and February to make the transition.

Russo said...

I am so with you, I think I had a bit of post-Christmas-mortem. Jejune is the coolest word choice.

And you can't go wrong with Frasier reruns. I want a January Tree!Better yet, I want homemade granola :)