~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, December 5, 2011

So . . . yeah.

You may have noticed that I didn't get my regular Challenge of the Month post up on Monday. I tried to. I knew the gist of what I wanted to say. But for some reason, the words wouldn't come out right. Sort of like baking a cake: you have the recipe, but then you realize you forgot to put the butter in, except all the butter has mysteriously disappeared from your kitchen, so you use applesauce instead, but then you remember like one minute before the buzzer goes off that you didn't adjust the ingredients for high altitude, so the poor cake still comes out looking like a demented flapjack or something.

It was kind of like that.

Lately, writing in general has left me feeling a little like Penny from The Big Bang Theory. (Okay, maybe I  just wanted an excuse to link to a Big Bang Theory clip. But this very scene really has been running through my head this week while I struggled to work on my book and my blog post that wasn't. Who hasn't felt the need to shout "I'M A FAILURE AT EVERYTHING AND MY BREATH SMELLS LIKE FLY" at least once in their life?)

I'll be back with a proper blog post next week. In the meantime, please accept this Christmas song from the Muppets. Or scroll down to Janiel's Grown-Ups-Have-Epic-Snowball-Fight-at-One-A.M.-While-Kids-Sleep post. And stay tuned for Russo's post on Wednesday, which will also be epic, because Russo's stories are always epic. That is all.

7 comments:

Cassidy Jo said...

Now my early-week is complete :) Sorry, that cake story sounds like a bad dream. Don't worry, you're a great writer (if you weren't I wouldn't keep coming back to the blog on Mondays)! Sip some hot cocoa while watching your favorite movie, and your cogs will start thawing.

William Kendall said...

Demented flapjacks are good!

And Beaker, of course, is the best Muppet ever. Why can't all carollers sing like this?

Janiel Miller said...

Sweetie! Sounds like you need some Orange Leaf frozen yogurt. I'm here for you. Just tell me when.

Do not give up! You are a wonderful writer. Also, you have excellent taste in sitcoms. I love Sheldon. And Penny. And you.

Thanks for the Big Bang laugh!

Robin said...

Dude. I soooo get this. A lot. I distract myself by being as busy as humanly possible.

Maegan Langer said...

Thanks, guys!

And I agree with you, William, about Beaker: it's almost as if Carol of the Bells was written specifically for him to sing.

William Kendall said...

I definitely have to use that clip for my Christmas blog....

Russo said...

Loved your first paragraph, you are so right, that is how writing is, a crazy recipe that sometimes doesn't go your way.

I love that you added the Muppets, Made me smile. And you were sweet to say my post would be epic, I dunno if I succeeded but your faith in me has pulled me through more times than I can count. I have learned so much about writing from you. I am grateful to have you as a friend.