~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 30, 2012

California Redwoods in Middle Earth


I've always wanted to see the giant California Redwood trees. I just never thought I'd get that chance in Rotorua, New Zealand instead of - you know - California.



















Since this grove is still relatively young, the trees aren't exactly giants yet,
I mean as far as California Redwoods go.






Interspersed with some funky New Zealand tree-ferns
whose proper name I can't remember.




Having grown up in a desert, I'm always a little fascinated
with green things. We sure don't have moss like this where I live.




Someday, a loooong time from now, the Rotorua grove will look like
the one in this video. The trees may not be giants yet (relatively speaking),
but it was still pretty neat to witness the beginnings of something so great.



Growing is Forever from Jesse Rosten on Vimeo.

Remember to check back Wednesday for our first February Challenge of the Month post
from Russo. We decided to try our hand at some Valentine's Day-themed short fiction.
Numerous paranormal love triangles to follow. Or not.

6 comments:

Chrisy said...

Beautiful photos. Lovely video. Happy Monday! :)

William Kendall said...

It looks like a very peaceful spot.

Lori said...

Beautiful photos!

densleyjazzfan said...

someday I will visit the middle earth.

Janiel Miller said...

I love the shot of you staring up the tree. You look like a tiny fairy in comparison. Also love the moss. It looks like it should be in the ocean. What a cool place!

Russo said...

The redwoods shot is incredible, and I so want your sweater!

You know, I don't think I have ever seen moss in real life but this pic is stunning.

I can't seem to get enough of the pics from your NZ trip.