It's traditional to start off a new year with "resolutions." You know, that thing where you make a goal you're going to accomplish sometime before the next Dec. 31st. It tends to be something big and lofty and you start off feeling all hopeful and motivated and stuff. Then sometime in March you realize, "Eh. I tried, but I have other things to worry about, like catching up on all those Downton Abbey episodes."
Well, forget that. How many people actually keep their New Year's resolutions? Is it really that many? And am I starting to sound bitter? I'm starting to sound bitter. But that's only because I don't believe in making resolutions since I never keep them. (Or do I never keep them because I don't believe in making them? Tricky, that.)
Don't get me wrong. If you're one of those people who makes resolutions and manages to keep them every year, I bow in your general direction. Personally, I lean more towards the Do Your Best Each Day and Worry About Tomorrow When It Gets Here school of thought.
That said, my Gnomies and I thought it would be fun to make a list of "Fantasy Resolutions," awesome stuff that could maybe come to pass this year. But if not, that's cool too. It's not the end of the world or anything. So here's what I came up with, the things I'd accomplish this year if I had an infinite supply of time/funds/patience/motivation/discipline/chocolate:
1. Learn to cook (HAHAHAHAHA! *Sniff* Oh my, we are off to a rocky start, aren't we?)
2. Go back to New Zealand, except this time, I'd catch an actual Hobbit. Or an elf. No, a RANGER! Yeah, that's it. I'd catch a Ranger for sure.
3. Finish the first draft of my book. You know, that book that won't leave me alone until I finish it.
4. Attend a live taping of my new favorite show, The Big Bang Theory. You know what? Scratch that. These are fantasy goals, after all. I don't want to be in the studio audience, I want to be on the show! I'm pretty nerdy. I took physics
5. Take up gardening (i.e. not kill every plant I ever try to take care of).
What are your goals for this year, fantasy or otherwise?