~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 2, 2012

Devil, Thy Name is New Year's Resolution

January Challenge: Fantasy Goals for 2012

It's traditional to start off a new year with "resolutions." You know, that thing where you make a goal you're going to accomplish sometime before the next Dec. 31st. It tends to be something big and lofty and you start off feeling all hopeful and motivated and stuff. Then sometime in March you realize, "Eh. I tried, but I have other things to worry about, like catching up on all those Downton Abbey episodes."

Well, forget that. How many people actually keep their New Year's resolutions? Is it really that many? And am I starting to sound bitter? I'm starting to sound bitter. But that's only because I don't believe in making resolutions since I never keep them. (Or do I never keep them because I don't believe in making them? Tricky, that.)

Don't get me wrong. If you're one of those people who makes resolutions and manages to keep them every year, I bow in your general direction. Personally, I lean more towards the Do Your Best Each Day and Worry About Tomorrow When It Gets Here school of thought.

That said, my Gnomies and I thought it would be fun to make a list of "Fantasy Resolutions," awesome stuff that could maybe come to pass this year. But if not, that's cool too. It's not the end of the world or anything. So here's what I came up with, the things I'd accomplish this year if I had an infinite supply of time/funds/patience/motivation/discipline/chocolate:

1. Learn to cook (HAHAHAHAHA! *Sniff* Oh my, we are off to a rocky start, aren't we?)

2. Go back to New Zealand, except this time, I'd catch an actual Hobbit. Or an elf. No, a RANGER! Yeah, that's it. I'd catch a Ranger for sure.

3. Finish the first draft of my book. You know, that book that won't leave me alone until I finish it.

4. Attend a live taping of my new favorite show, The Big Bang Theory. You know what? Scratch that. These are fantasy goals, after all. I don't want to be in the studio audience, I want to be on the show! I'm pretty nerdy. I took physics against my will in college. I'd fit right in with those guys.

5. Take up gardening (i.e. not kill every plant I ever try to take care of).

What are your goals for this year, fantasy or otherwise?

6 comments:

Cassidy Jo said...

Girl, we should cook together! Let's plan something :)

Robin said...

I don't do resolutions, but I love the idea of fantasy ones that I'd accomplish if I had an infinite supply of time/funds/patience/motivation/discipline/chocolate

Here's my list

1. Put a 2nd floor on the house.
2. Build a geothermal greenhouse behind the garden with an attached root cellar behind the studio.
3. Take my family to Europe for a couple of weeks.
4. Find and get some auracana chickens in a batch smaller than 25 so that we can have blue and green eggs. That would make me happy.
5. Hire a gardener to take care of the flower gardens which are sorely neglected because I into the veg garden thing lately.
6. Build an equipment shed for our tractor and mowers.
7. Hire a mechanic to keep the equipment in working condition so that when we need to use it we don't have to: blow up the tires, jump start the battery, go to town to get gas.
8. I'd draw a detailed map of the cemetery up the way. It's old and lovely and those old graves need to be recorded better.

Lori said...

Yep, never make 'em cause I can't keep 'em! Love your fantasy ones, though!

densleyjazzfan said...

Happy new year to the ladies of my favorit blog.

William Kendall said...

I would think that most people are giving up on their resolutions by.... well, today's the eighth, and that fits.

Russo said...

I vote yes on watching the Downton Abbey episodes! I also think that I need to adapt to your way of thinking, 'Do Your Best Each Day and Worry About Tomorrow When It Gets Here.'

I LOVE your Fantasy Resolutions, I vote me and Janiel get to go with you to New Zealand to catch a Ranger-oh my hottness! Better yet, big bang theory taping.

I am with you on the gardening thing, every plant I try to help live actually end up dead.