~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, January 6, 2012

Dream Big, Baby!

January Challenge: Fantasy Goals for 2012


If I could do anything in the world during 2012 it would be to set and keep goals. I'm like my fellow gnomies: I don't do the whole New Year's Resolution thing. Partly because I know I'll get psychotically ambitious and set three thousand goals, none of which I'll keep. I'm like all those people at the gym who suddenly start exercising at the beginning of the year because the holidays packed it on ("it" being cheesecake, brownies, fudge, toffee, and shortbread. Shortbread should die. It is evil), and they desperately want to pack it off. So they go faithfully for a month, and you can't find a treadmill or an eliptical trainer, or a stair machine or a stationary bike. And then literally at week five, BAM. Everything is free again.


That's me.


I get all fired up and determined, set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. and rush out the door in a flurry of technical clothing and running shoes, and slam into all of my New Year's goals hard and fast. For a month. Then it's over. So I don't do it that way anymore. Now I take things as they rear their heads and I feel much better about it. (Although I'm still trying to hit the gym in the mornings. I got things heading south on my body that need to at least be stopped in their tracks for awhile.)


BUT, if I could make it all happen in 2012? Here's what I'd do:


1.  Qualify for the Boston Marathon by having run the St. George last October (It's a Boston qualifying run. Also, I believe in ex post facto laws when it comes to goals.) Then go to Boston in April and run the thing, taking a victory lap down Boylston Street with thousands of people screaming me on because if an old lady like me can do it, they can do it. And now they're inspired. (Do you see why I don't set goals?)


2.  Spend a month in the British Isles. Have my family join me at week three. Maybe two. They're pretty cool. Then take everyone back at Christmas and have a Dickensian experience. With Wills and Kate.


3.  Be able to pay my bills without having a panic attack.


4. Learn to love running. HAAAAAAhahahahahaha! *sniff* Okay. Learn to like it. HAH! Okay. Learn to do it everyday without stopping every tenth of a mile.


5.  Become so organized and Feng Shui'ed that when someone walks into my house they achieve Nervana.


6.  And one last little goal-lette: Chillax. Seriously. Become a river of peace. That and become famous.


Dreaming is good, right? :) And I think if we're going out there and putting good into the universe, the universe will put some good back into us. So dream big, do good, and be grateful. That's my real mantra for 2012.


Have a lovely year, my friendly peeps!



10 comments:

mynameismia said...

when people walk into my house they achieve NIRVANA... as in "smells like teen spirit.". Or, something.

Sara B. Larson said...

Wouldn't 1 and 4 be mutually exclusive? ;) JK. I keep toying with the idea of training for a marathon, and then I go running and I'm not as fast as I want, and I hurt, and yeah. Probably not going to happen. But I am doing another half in April. I guess that'll have to do.

Robin said...

Chillaxing - that my goal for this weekend. It's going to be hard work to get there. Which is precisely the reason I need to chillax in the first place. I turn everything into work.

Janiel Miller said...

Sara - haha! No. For me 1 and 4 are not mutually exclusive. I don't love running. I love having run. I loved the St. George marathon after it was over. Every step is painful to me. I'd rather be dancing. So I suppose number 4 should have been 1, and number 1 should have been 2.

I think your running discipline is admirable. It's always painful, but anyone who still does it is amazing. Good luck on your next half!

Janiel Miller said...

Mia - yeah, I get that whole Teen Spirit thing. Sometimes its nirvana. Mostly just teen spirit. ;)

Rob - I hope you are able to relax this weekend. I do the same thing, by over thinking everything.

Maegan Langer said...

I'd like to love running too. So far I've only managed to love the idea of running. Oh, well. Baby steps, right?

P.S. I reach Nirvana every time I come to your house.

densleyjazzfan said...

I agree withcha. U cant pay me a million gazzalion $ to run. im not that kind of gal. Love: Brandis

William Kendall said...

I could definitely do with a month or two in the British isles, wandering about from place to place!

Janiel Miller said...

Oh yeah. Anything less than a month wouldn't be nearly enough time. *sigh*

Russo said...

I still laugh out loud at psychotically ambitious- so freaking funny because it sounds like me too. MMM, now I want some Shortbread.

So I didn't know you have to Boston Marathon. Makes me respect them even more. OH! Bristish Isles, best fantasy goal, why didn't I think of that?! LOVE London. I love we all go someday.

Become a river of peace-yeah I need that too :)