~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Spin Around the Shire

In New Zealand last fall, I got to visit Mt. Victoria, which stood in for parts of the outer Shire in the Lord of the Rings, specifically when the hobbits are chased by the Ringwraiths:




Stand back, Nazgul. I got this.



"Get off the road!" Frodo knows something's up.


I wasn't as worried as Frodo. More amused, maybe. It's hard not to look stoked when you're in New Zealand!


Time to duck and cover . . .


Except the actual tree is gone now, and there was nothing scarier than a spectral jogger on the road.


After all that excitement, I had to stop for a rest in the Frodo tree.


Yep, the very same tree.


What's this? Just a shortcut to some mushrooms.



View from Mt. Victoria. Would you believe Wellington is really just a stone's throw from Middle Earth?


Next stop: the Gardens of Isengard (really Harcourt Park)




I looked everywhere, but there were no wizards to be found! Maybe they were hiding.


My guide Wendell kept a stash of wizard's staffs for tour groups in the bushes nearby. So here I am in the Gardens of Isengard with my very own wizard's staff. Oh yeah. I'm totally legit.


7 comments:

William Kendall said...

Did you get to smoke some Old Toby pipe weed?

Maegan Langer said...

Nah, not this time. Gotta save something for the next trip ;)

Janiel Miller said...

Very cool to see you proving that the movie sets were real. I wish the gnarly tree with the little hobbit-heads beneath it wasn't gone. Maybe Hollywood brought it in?

Next time you go, I'm going with you.

densleyjazzfan said...

As Russo would say freaking cool.
The Hobbitt is something i googgle every day.

Ari2525 said...

I crushed on elijah wood when I was a youngster, not as cute as mac culkin but what can you do? I always wanted to go to new zealand but was worried about the plane ride. How long was it? Probably too long.

Maegan Langer said...

Ari, I TOTALLY had a crush on Elijah Wood when I was a kid too! I still think he has the prettiest eyes ever.

The plane ride from L.A. to Auckland was 12 hours, which isn't too bad when you think about it. I watched movies, The Big Bang Theory, and I slept a lot.

Russo said...

I can't believe you got to see all these beautiful sites, ah, the outer Shire in the Lord of the Rings! Loved those scenes.
The pics were you are on the road is so stunning. I also love your poses.

I wonder how high was the wizarding staff? I have been meaning to ask you that but keep forgetting.