~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, January 20, 2012

Winter Tree and Granola. My Friday Gift To You.

It's been a lonnnngggg week. Weeks. I need peace. Do you? Ah, I thought you might. Here is my peace offering to you: a tour of my winter decorations! Yes, yes I know. Just what you've always wanted. Well, you are WELCOME.


Thank you for bearing with me. I might need therapy, and you are far less expensive than Dr. Forehead. And nicer. I am seriously pushing the Christmas line with my decor, but I don't care. In a winter of no snow, which totally stinks, I have the right to push Christmas out as far as I want. And so do you. Except I'm not. I'm pushing snowmen. And icicles. And greenery. And lights. And forest trees. Forest, not Christmas. And I'm also pushing granola. My favorite recipe for which follows the pictures.


And just to be a nice guy, and to prove I'm only pushing the peace of winter, I shall also include a wonderful non-Christmas song that you can play as you browse the pictures and read through the recipe. I hope you can sit back, close your eyes (except when you're looking at my post), and just float away for a while. Peace to you all, my friends.
(This song is in Irish. Then English. It's from my trip to Ireland. Which was massively peaceful.)




The fireplace: de-Santa'ed, de-Nutcracker'ed, de-Stockinged. Icicles on the Stocking hangers. Red glass tree to represent St. Valentine (don't say anything).  And a happy little forest tree. And forest candles. And forest lights. *sigh*

My husband's old skates. From when he was twelve. He used to flood the horse pasture between his house and his grandparent's in the winter. It could get down to 60-below at times, so it didn't take long to make an ice rink. He'd skate it on these. 

We once had freezing rains in Germany that robed everything in 3-4 inches of ice. I had white skates just like these, except, you know, white. My brother and I skated around the block, over and over again. The Germans watched us crazy Americans from their windows. Which were frozen shut. *double sigh*

My snowmen. People have given these to me over the years. Including that snowman runner. It's a collection I never actually started. I love it. It reminds me of lovely people.

A picture from my sister-in-law. I love lights in winter and put them everywhere. You may have noticed. The Presidents noticed. Look at them up there smiling. We love our country. We also love poor starving artists who go door to door hawking their paintings so they can pay for their new baby. And we hang what we purchase on our wall so we don't forget to send good vibes to the artist and his family.

The glitter tree! Yay! I love this the most. My family hates it because they all have inner-ear issues and can't not get caught on the tree whenever they walk by. I don't have this problem. There is plenty of room. My family claims the tree grabs them. This year I put the tree on the coffee table. If my kids get caught on it this time it means they've flung themselves at it and I am taking them for therapy with Dr. Forehead.

Glitter tree on table with lights (surprise!) and hubby-skates. Fireplace to right. Snowless yard to left.

Glitter-tree again because I love it. It was supposed to cost $125. I had been looking everywhere for a glitter tree--which I'd never heard of and totally made up in my head--so when I found it I thought it was a sign from God that I needed a glitter tree. But I didn't have no $125. Then the lady in the store noticed this particular tree had a severe lean (obvious in picture above this one). So she gave it to me for $23. Yep. Twenty-three smackers.
It was meant to be.

And now, Toasty Oasty Granola. A la my lovely friend Alyce
Mix together:
1 cup slivered (or chopped) almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup coconut
3 cups oatmeal (old fashioned)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup agave (or 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup brown sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tsp vanilla

--Bake 300-325 (fahrenheit) for 20 minutes on cookie sheet. Can stir half way through. I do. Let set on a sheet. Will be moist. If you like your granola crunchy cook it 5-10 minutes longer, stirring in half way through. If you want craisins in it (I do), throw them in after it has baked. After. If you bake the craisins they will morph into nasty bitter little erasers and you will be traumatized.

This is FABulous stirred into yogurt. Especially Greek honey yogurt.
Yummm.
Sigh.

Happy Friday!


7 comments:

Robin said...

I heart granola. And I heart yogurt with granola. I'm going to have some now.

Maegan Langer said...

I love your winter decorations! Can't say I'm too broken up about this winter without snow, though :D

Janiel Miller said...

Thanks!
Yeah. I don't mind not driving in it. Although part of me is weirded out about it.

William Kendall said...

So we're not allowed to say anything about St. Valentine, are we?

Janiel Miller said...

No, Mr. Kendall, we are not. If you were here last year you may recall our February Challenge posts. They were entitled "Dear St. Valentine: Shut Up."

You can only say something if it's an idea for what I can give my husband, because after 25 years I still can't figure it out.

:) Thanks for reading. We appreciate it. A lot!

densleyjazzfan said...

Brandis loved the pics I loved the recipe.

Russo said...

I totally agree with you about needing peace. Nice intro BTW. I agree sometimes ya have to push the holidays out as far as possible. We should Christmas in July :) BTW I love the forest candles. And I want a glitter tree!

Thank you also for the recipe, I love Toasty Oasty Granola and your cooking!