~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 12, 2012

One for Posterity

When I was ten, I decided to write a letter to the Queen of England. Actually, my grandmother suggested I write a letter to the Queen of England, and I thought it was a good idea. What did I have to lose? I can't remember what I wrote to her exactly, only that I was planning to visit my aunt and uncle who were living in London at the time and as long as I was in the neighborhood, could I stop by and meet the Queen? I then covered the envelope with the requisite amount of international postage, dropped it in the mailbox, and forgot about it.

A few weeks later, I got another envelope with a red coat of arms printed on it. Inside, on stationary that featured the same coat of arms along with the words "Buckingham Palace," I read:

2nd October, 1993.

Dear Maegan,

I am commanded by The Queen to write and thank you for your letter.

Her Majesty was interested to hear from you and hopes that you will enjoy your visit to this country.

Although it will not be possible for you to meet The Queen, owing to her rules in these matters, you may like to know that, weather permitting, Her Majesty will ride in a carriage procession down The Mall at around 12.55 p.m. mid-day on Tuesday, 9th November, at the start of a Malaysian State Visit. If you were in The Mall at that time you may be able to see The Queen and members of her family.

I am to thank you again for your letter.

Yours sincerely,

[Illegible signature]

Lady-in-Waiting


True story.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

Oh, that's a good story!

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

You absolutely rock! I loved hearing this story yesterday :) You should frame that for posterity.

Janiel Miller said...

I love that you have a letter from Queen Elizabeth's Lady in Waiting! Great story.
I wrote a letter to C.S. Lewis once. No one told me he was dead.

jjsundevil said...

a note from the palace=2 kewl

Russo said...

Okay, this is really incredible. I don't know many people with a letter from Buckinham Palace. Okay, wait---let me rephrase that, I don't know ANYONE, other than you, that has a letter from the Queen. You rule, no pun intended. I am serious impressed, do still have the letter because I have to see it.

I need to adopt your attitude of what did I have to lose? You inpired me and you didn't even know it.