~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, May 28, 2012

Weekend on Mars

Okay, not really. But it's easy to feel like you're on another planet in a place like this. Just off to the left of the pic below, you'll find -


- Delicate Arch, the "unofficial symbol of Utah." I was there on the day of the solar eclipse, so you can imagine we had the best seat in the house.



It's hard to describe the sense of ancient-ness you get at Arches National Park. These formations were here loooong before I was, and they'll be here long after I'm gone. It really drives home how (literally) small we are, just a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of Time. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.





You have to drive past these ladies on your way into the park. They call them the Three Gossips. You guys, I swear they're talking about me . . .



Well he-llo there, Captain Carter!


Actually, these were the only John Carters I found on my trip, in a little book store in Moab - which is almost as good as the real thing, I guess, bibliophile that I am. But still, a girl can dream, right?



We scrambled through some narrow places in Little Wild Horse Canyon. That's my aunt Holly up ahead, making her blog debut. If we had John Carter's powers, we could just jump out. But that wouldn't have been as much fun.






I like to call this the Multiple Personality Rock. From here, it's Iron Man.



But from the other side, it's a Stormtrooper. Or maybe He Who Must Not Be Named. (I'm open to suggestions.)



Doesn't this look like a spaceship landing platform?



There's something eerie about the hoodoo formations in Goblin Valley, almost like they're watching you. I think these guys were talking about me too.


Even so, this trip was just what I needed. I think I'll have to go back every year.



Happy Memorial Day, everybody! You've seen some of my summer fun, now I want to hear about yours. What are your plans for summer? Travel? Writing? Discuss.

8 comments:

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

I love the pics! Especially the rock with the multiple personality disorder :) Never been here before; now it's on my list of places to see. Thanks for sharing!

Maegan Langer said...

We should go, Cassidy! I want to go back every year. Great place for a writing retreat.

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

Ooh, you just convinced me; writing retreat? I'm in!

William Kendall said...

Absolutely gorgeous photography, Maegan. I have to see the area for myself.

densleyjazzfan said...

geek fans unite.

J. M. Dow said...

I've already gone to a drive-in to see John Carter. Fun both for JC as well as going to my first drive in. It was awesome.

I plan on trying to go camping some, maybe take some summer class activities? Oh, and write. Write like a champion. Because I actually have the time.

Looks like you had a lot of fun. That's a really gorgeous place to go and visit.

Maegan Langer said...

Thanks, William!

Russo said...

Oh, every single pic is heaven. Seriously, I am just blown away by the beauty of JC-Land.

The solar eclipse would've been killer at this site. I LOVE the rock that looks like different faces. And cute exploring outfit, girl!