~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 18, 2012

Who's Your Daddy?


Hello all! I was inspired by a trend on Twitter* this weekend where people were listing their favorite movie dads. I thought I'd share a few of my own, so here goes:


Nobody can rock a sparkly headband like this dad. He's like the David Bowie of Middle Earth. Plus, this scene kills me every time.

Hugo Weaving as Elrond in LOTR


This dad was captain of a starship for only twelve minutes (and onscreen even less), but he still managed to save eight hundred lives, including his newborn son, James T. Kirk.
Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk in Star Trek


Favorite Disney movie, favorite Disney Princess, ergo, favorite Disney dad.




This guy is more of a father figure, but for all intents and purposes, he raised the man who would be Batman. Michael Caine is my favorite Alfred, by far. (And is this not one of the coolest movie posters you've ever seen? Bring on the Dark Knight again!)



Forget genes (although I'm sure Eric Bana's are most excellent). This dad will pass on his wicked assassin skills, not to mention go up against Cate I'm-So-Intense-I-Brush-My-Teeth-Til-My-Gums-Bleed Blanchett to protect his kid.

Eric Bana and Saoirse Ronan in HANNA

Even when he's a complete jerk on The Office, there's something about Steve Carell that breaks my heart, in a good way. This quality is especially evident when he's playing a widower trying to raise three teenage daughters.




Two more father figures, in this case, for the Boy Who Lived. I couldn't decide which of these guys was my favorite, so I'll put them both.
David Thewlis as Remus Lupin and Gary Oldman as Sirius Black

Only a true dad would don tights in front of all his football buddies for his little girl. The ballet scene alone is worth the price of admission.
Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock in The Game Plan


Oh, come on. If you've read this blog at all over the past few months, you had to know this was coming. This sci-fi dad was an automatic shoe-in, both for his cool tattoos and the fact that I love Ciaran Hinds in just about anything. And while we're on the subject . . .
Ciaran Hinds as Tardos Mors and Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris in John Carter (of Mars)


I have to give a shout-out to Tars Tarkas too. He does have the best one-liners in the galaxy. Yes, I know. Your spirit annoys me.
Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas and Samantha Morton as Sola

And last but not least, will somebody please give this guy his own movie, without all the moony, broody teenagers?

Billy Burke as Charlie Swan

Who are some of you favorite fictional dads? Are there any you think I've missed? Feel free to share in the comments. I'd really like to know.


*Why, yes! I joined Twitter, thanks for asking. Follow me @TheGreatMaegini, if you want. #shamelessselfpromotion (See what I did there?)

8 comments:

Robin said...

Great list!

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

Love this post! Elrond rocks :)

Janiel Miller said...

Love your list. Ditto it. And I would add Kyle Chandler from Super 8, who kicked alien butt and had fierce internal turmoil over protecting his kids. Also Michael Landon who played Pa Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie and could cry over his kids at the drop of a bonnet.

Michael Caine is the greatest movie dad, cad, slob, con, huckster, charmer, pretty much anything. He always gets my vote.

J. M. Dow said...

This is a great list. I don't know if I agree with you about Tardos Mors. I mean, I understand his motivations for marrying off his daughter, but that doesn't really excuse him either. But I did like that he was so upset about it while he did it. I liked him as a character a lot, but I probably wouldn't put him on the top dads list.

Alfred on the other hand? Heck yeah! All for his line from Batman Begins: "What is the point of all those push-ups if you can't even lift a bloody log?"

I didn't not realize Chris Hemsworth was George Kirk. I've seen them movie, but it was before I knew who he was. My mind is now blown.

Belle's dad, aww. He's so awesome. Crazy old Maurice...he's always good for a laugh.

I found a shirt somewhere that said "Team Charlie." I totally want that shirt. I totally agree, where is Charlie's movie???

Maegan Langer said...

I know! He's a great character. Twilight doesn't deserve him. I saw a poster once with Charlie kind of in silhouette that said "Team Guy With a Mustache."

William Kendall said...

Billy Burke is the one member of the Twilight cast that far exceeds the mess that the whole franchise is (I hate Mr. Sparkles, Sullen Idiot, and Dog Boy). Now if we were to see a movie about a small town sheriff going all Rambo on vampires and werewolves....

Maurice, always good for a laugh. The best movie Disney has ever produced.

Alfred, Elrond, Lupin, Sirius, and George Kirk are all good choices too.

I remember when Hemsworth got cast as Thor; I could remember him from the intro to Star Trek, so he interested me there, and I figured he'd do well in the lead. He proved me right.

Obviously no room for Darth Vader in this list....

Maegan Langer said...

Yes, Mr. Hemsworth has proven himself many times over. Can't wait for Thor 2!

I actually thought about including Vader. I probably should have. He did turn back to the Good Side in the end, after all.

Russo said...

I personally loved that you added Micheal Caine cuz he's a father figure to Batman, nice touch.

Why didn't it register to me that Chris Hemsworth was in Star Trek-man, I am slow.

Love Arwen's dad! Great list, my dear friend!