~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, July 20, 2012

Downton Abbey - Sorry Guys. It's a Girl-thing. Maybe.

Downton Abbey cast photo via Creative Commons

Downton Abbey.

What does your heart do when you read that?


Mine goes:(SPOILER ALERT! this paragraph only) "OMIGOSH! When the pert-pantaloons is Season 3 going to be on?! What is happening with Lady Sybil and her new husband/driver? Are Mary and Matthew married and happy? Will Edith find someone who thinks she has a special spirit? Or maybe just get a nose job? Will O'Brien and Thomas finally say 'what the heck' and marry each other, spawning a new dawn of evil domestics for future series'? And what about John and Anna Bates? Will he get out of jail? Will they find another murdering wife in his past? Will they sacrifice themselves for each other so no one is actually happy? But most of all, WILL SHIRLEY MACLAINE HOLD HER OWN AGAINST THE GOOD DAME MAGGIE, OR WILL MAGS CHEW HER UP AND SPIT HER OUT ALONG WITH ONE OF HER WICKED GOOD ASIDES?"


That's a brief summary, anyway.


I don't know what it is about this soap opera--because don't kid yourself, this baby is a lovely frothy soap--but I can't get enough of it. And I ain't alone. Downton is the proud owner of 16 Emmy noms this year. 16. Only beaten out by the 17 Mad Men and American Horror Story each received. Which obviously don't count. I don't know why. But it's obvious they don't.


And this brings me to . . . Guys. What do you-all think of this show? Does it perplex you that the women in your lives are flippity-gaga for it, or are you, too? A little bit. On the inside. Are you Downton widowers, ignored until the season is over (or until the whole thing is watched in 2 days on Hulu), or do you join in? Maybe with a beer and a grudging grunt, a little eye-roll like "Dude. I am totally doing this for points," but on the inside you're wondering if Countess Violet will finally just clock Isobel Crawley with her lofty walking stick, and perhaps losing sleep over the rumors that Dame Maggie might be leaving. (She's not. Breathe.)


Look. There's no shame in admitting DowntAddiction. Corsets, Gibson-girl hair, and demurely bared shoulders are alluring in an era of throwing everything the good lord gave a girl right out there. I mean, believe me, we women would take a man in a smart waistcoat, winged collar, and gaiters over a dude who has to duct-tape his skinny jeans to his thighs in order to keep them fashionably low (and from sliding down around his ankles.)


There's no shame in it. Throw in some mystery, great cars, a world war, and a bit of money, and there's something worthy of sinking your dude-ness into. Julian Fellowes knows what he's doing. He's a guy. ("Julian" notwithstanding.) 


All right, fine. Do it for the women. For us. We need our Downton. And we need you to watch it with us--or at least be cool when we do. Mostly though, we  need you to not sprain your eyeballs rolling them. It'll all come out even in the end. Trust me.


*cough* Hunting, Fishing, BBQ, Football, NASCAR, HAM, Football, Two-and-a-Half-Men, Golf, Football *cough*

And now some of Downton's best moments. First with Dame Maggie Smith, then Sir Jimmy Fallon (Downton Sixbey) (Which, by the way, is from late night television. Sooo, watch accordingly):







5 comments:

shelly said...

I've never seen this show. Would love to but I'm usually working on one of my novels.

Shelly
http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

jjsundevil said...

downtown abbey babeeee
russe goose call me k

densleyjazzfan said...

must be a girl thing. maggie smiths a hero.

William Kendall said...

Well, I don't have a lady in my life who'd be watching it, but I've got lady friends who do make a point of going out of their way to watch it. It's a bit of a mystery to me. I've heard of the show, but never tuned in, and given the soapish quality... I think I'd be lost!

Russo said...

I hadn't heard of Downton Abbey until my dear Smashing friends told me about it. Now I'm hooked. I love that you did a post on Downton! I also laughed outloud at your line, will Edith get a nose job? So sunny.

PS- the videos are a hoot