~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 2, 2012

Iowa Summer Writing Festival

I spent last weekend at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival at the University of Iowa. I'd never been before, but you can bet I'll be going back. I had a great time, met some wonderful people, and it was nice to give myself permission to focus only on writing for a couple of days. I highly recommend it.

Iowa City is very writer-friendly, at least around
campus. I spotted lots of cool little nods to the
craft as I was exploring.




On Saturday night, I walked to The Haunted Bookshop
with some of my classmates. (I KNOW! Is that not
one of the coolest book store names you've ever heard?)


The store has two resident cats. This is Logan, according
to their website. Consider me sold!

The Haunted Bookshop holds regular "open mike"
nights where anyone can read their writing. We got to
hear stuff from some interesting, talented writers. I
shared a short story I started back in March. The
crowd was kind, so it was only a little scary.

The book shop also has the largest finger
puppet collection in the western hemisphere.
I can't verify that, but I'm pretty sure it's true.


On Sunday night, I thought I'd better try to get some writing
done. The patio outside my hotel seemed like as good a place
as any, until I got distracted by the local nightlife.
'Sup, little guy?


I couldn't leave without making one last pilgrimage.
I've been to Middle Earth. I've even been to Mars, but this trumps them all.
Thank you, Iowa. My life is now complete.

8 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! Thanks for the pic of the Captain Kirk marker. It made our day!

Linda Bendorf said...

Maegan, So happy to see that you had as wonderful a life outside the workshop as you did WITHIN the workshop. I LOVE your photos and captions. Each one resonates! Yay! You'll come back next summer! Linda www.bluesagewriting.com

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

So fun! I love the last pic best; it made me happy :)

Maegan Langer said...

Thank you for reading, Jedi Master Linda! And thank you for a great weekend. I know I don't always say much out loud, but I sure learned a lot!

Maegan Langer said...

Cassidy, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn you're a Star Trek fan too :-)

William Kendall said...

Any bookstore worth going into should have a cat!

So the town manages to pull in a Captain Kirk connection, huh?

There's a town called Vulcan out on the Canadian Prairies somewhere...

Maegan Langer said...

No way! Vulcan-out-on-the-Canadian-prairies-somewhere is now on my list of places to visit. As much as I love Captain Kirk, I'm more a Spock girl at the end of the day.

Russo said...

So cool you got to experience Iowa Summer Writing Festival. I adore the pics, especially the first one (very writerly.) I bet the haunted gift shop was incredible, the name is prety genius.

I'm so proud of you for reading your story, you have talent in spades my friend.
I also love that you enclose so many pics, I felt like I got to experience Iowa with you!