~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, September 24, 2012

Date A Girl Who Reads

It would appear I'm suffering from a dearth of blog post ideas. Two weeks ago, I just linked to an article I liked and last week I took a break altogether. I still don't have any shiny new ideas. I'm not like Russo, who always has a charmingly a-dork-able story to share, or Janiel, who remembers to blog even in the midst of taking care of sick kids and fixing meals and various other Super-Mom duties. No, I'm in a bit of a slump. Not an emotional slump or anything, but a blog-writing slump. And that's okay. Writing slumps are a part of life, and if I've learned anything from the dozens of writing slumps I've dealt with over the years, it's that they don't last.

But.

Lest I leave you all hanging again, one of my Facebook friends posted a link to a really wonderful essay* called "Date A Girl Who Reads" by Rosemarie Urquico:

"Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours, and half-baked proposals, then you're better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.
Or better yet, date a girl who writes." 

But you don't have to take my word for it (she says in her best LeVar Burton voice). Go read the whole essay HERE. Yay for girls who read!


*Except for the part about lying. Lying in the real world, for whatever reason, is almost never a good thing, IMHO.

4 comments:

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

I LOVE this essay!

J. M. Dow said...

I did. Then I married her. No regrets.

William Kendall said...

Thanks for posting that! Much needed to read!

Russo said...

I love this wording, "charmingly a-dork-able story." I hear ya on the writing slump, it comes to visit me to every now and again.

PS-I loved the quote that you chose.