~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, September 10, 2012

Take Control of Your Creative Process

This amazing article from screenwritingu.com popped up in my twitter feed this weekend. Man, was it ever something I needed! I'd been stuck for months, trying to figure how and where and when to start this new chapter. The article is specifically about screenplays, but I think it applies to all writing, and it focuses on the purposes of various drafts (first vs. middle vs. final). Favorite quote:

"You set all kinds of creative processes in motion just by giving yourself the freedom to write bad stuff for the first draft."

It must have worked, because I pounded out almost 900 words this morning on the chapter I'd been struggling to start. That may not sound like a lot, but for me, 900 words in one sitting is HUGE. I'm tempted to include more awesome quotes, but I think y'all should just read "Take Control of Your Creative Process."

We also have an author interview coming up this Friday. Jennifer Beckstrand writes Amish Romance novels and has kindly guest-posted for us once before. Check it out here.

4 comments:

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

900 words is fabulous! Thanks for posting the article, I'm excited to read it :)

William Kendall said...

Thanks for posting the link!

Maegan Langer said...

You're welcome!

Russo said...

I LOVE this quote, I'm so glad you shared this. I'm so excited for you and your 900 words, that is a HUGE accomplishment. PS- Can you pass that good luck on to me? PPS- Love you and your story, girl.