~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 19, 2012

Carry a Notebook

Most writers like to have writing implements with them at all times. You never know when a good idea, perhaps The Idea, will strike. I've filled up at least one small spiral-bound notebook - plus various scraps of random paper - with character notes, lines of dialogue, descriptions, plot points, grocery lists, etc. I usually carry a small flip notebook, like the ones you see detectives use in 1940's crime movies. When that gets used up, I have a lovely Moleskine my friend Cassidy gave me.

I saw Skyfall this weekend (Edward who? I'm Team 007). I always get story ideas when I go to movies, and this was no different. For some reason, I had forgotten to toss my trusty notebook back into my purse. It's never wise to let those clever story ideas go when they decide to show up, so I pulled out a pen and started scribbling away in the dark. Kids, always carry a notebook, because this is what happens when you don't:


These story notes have now been safely transferred to the official Story Notes Notebook that lives on my desk. What's the weirdest place you've ever scribbled story ideas?


7 comments:

Janiel Miller said...

That is a very awesome picture of awesomeness. I think it should hang on the walls of writers everywhere. The weirdest place I've ever scribbled story ideas? In church.

Janiel Miller said...

Is that shorthand on your arm? Fairie language?

William Kendall said...

Where's the Rosetta Stone when you need it?

Tara Tyler said...

thats awesome! i alwys have paper handy! get it, handy? ha!
have written on lists, receipts, napkins, a map...

Maegan Langer said...

HA! No, not fairie language, just already-crappy left-handed writing scribbled on my arm in the dark (as if I could look away from Mr. Craig anyway!)

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

Haha, that's classic. I love going to the movies for two reasons: the previews and the notes I take during the film. It's hard making anything readable, though, when you're writing in the dark ;)

Russo said...

I love this pic, I write on my hands every now and then but I've never scrawled up my arm. You got me beat. Plus, your writing looks cool, like an tattoo that Arwen would have

And I love your small flip notebook, you look like a detective with it. Ah, I need to see SkyFall.