~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 5, 2012

Happy Guy Fawkes Day! (And May the Force Be With You)

Remember, remember, the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. 
I know of no reason the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Today, in case you weren't aware, is November 5th. If you're reading this from across the pond, then Happy Guy Fawkes Day to you! If you celebrate it, that is. I'm not really sure if Guy Fawkes Day is still a thing . . . If you're not reading this from across the pond, but you're a V for Vendetta fan, then that little shout-out was for you too. If you're reading this from across the pond and you're a V for Vendetta fan, then you get a gold star, fortune and glory. 


In other news, you may have heard that Disney bought Lucasfilm from the man himself this past week for about four billion-with-a-B dollars (money that George Lucas will use to establish an educational foundation). This gives Disney complete control over the STAR WARS franchise, and they've announced they will release a new movie in 2015, with two more following every couple of years. 

This, my friends, is the best news I've heard in a long, long time.

I know cynics say this is all about the money. Well, DUH. Of course it's about money. Disney hasn't lasted this long by making stupid business decisions (at least not consistently). But for me, someone who grew up watching these movies and living in that world and wanting to be Princess Leia and who still uses the Luke/Han dynamic as inspiration when writing the relationship between the two main characters in my book, this is HUGE. 

Opinions about the prequels are across the board, but mostly negative. I actually enjoyed them, but they failed big-time at capturing the wonder and quality of the originals. Mr. Lucas lost perspective on his own creation and sacrificed characters and story in favor of the latest and best special effects. But the universe he established is still limitless. New material from fresh minds can only be a good thing, much like J.J. Abrams's fantastic STAR TREK reboot. We've already seen that Disney can do sci-fi/fantasy well in the form of JOHN CARTER* and it's not difficult to recognize elements of Edgar Rice Burroughs's John Carter of Mars novels in the original movies. Can you imagine a new STAR WARS movie directed by Spielberg, or Joss Whedon, or even Andrew Stanton? That's something I'd stand in line to see. 


*Never mind that they totally abandoned it marketing-wise before it ever hit the ground. I'm trying to be positive, here. 


3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Of course, since Jar-Jar is based on Goofy, the ultra-final cut of the prequel trilogy will include Goofy CGIed in in place of Jar-Jar...

Janiel Miller said...

Joss! Joss! Joss!

And maybe the new Star Wars reboot will somehow make up for John Carter.

OKAY! OKAY! JUST KIDDING!

Russo said...

I totally forget it was Guy Fawkes Day until I read your post and now I'm rereading it. I'm glad you mentioned it on Nov 5th. (I get my news from you.)

I love the Disney pic you posted. I can wait to see where the Star Wars franchise goes next.