~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, November 30, 2012

Peace On Earth Starts Here

It's been very cricket-y around here lately. I don't mean that a bunch of British guys in cream colored dockers and argyle sweaters have been running back and forth between the top and bottom of this blog smacking a ball with something that looks like a canoe oar. I mean it's been quiet. Cricket-chirp quiet.

Russo is up to her perfectly coiffed and hair-pieced head in final exams. Maegan has been fairly awash (see what I did there? See how I alluded to the fairies in Maegan's book with the word "fairly"? Umhmm. You wish you were so clever) in animal ailments as an itinerate vet's assistant, and I--well, I've actually been here on this blog, because my life is so very gob-smacked with children that I've gotta have someplace to come chillax and talk with adults and get my brain stretched on topics other than whether or not my environmentally safe laundry detergent is really getting the ketchup and cupcake and grass stains out of my kids' clothes.

See, for me this blog--and all of my other little writing nooks--is a place of peace. It's a place where I can turn my brain inside out, dump out the contents, see what's been rolling around in there for the last week, chuck the drek, expand on the good stuff, and save the questionable for another day. After that, it's like I've been swimming in a vat of Smart Water. I can live again.

Creativity in life is absolutely essential--even if you don't think you're a creative person. It takes creativity to enjoy a sunset, or even to figure out your menu for the day. You grab onto those juices to decorate for the holidays, shop for gifts, write a story, tell a joke, or find a way to compliment someone you love even though you really should tell them that in fact, yes, those pants do make them look fat.

Creativity is all over our lives, and once we've used it all up through the stress of life, we have to find a way to recharge it. Writing does that for me. As do singing, cooking and baking for my family, dancing, drawing, and above all, laughing. What does it for you? Do you have a place to go to recharge? Even just a mental place? Because you are allowed to do that. To find those peaceful, happy  things and embrace them in your life. In fact, the people closest to you in your life should encourage you to find those places. Their life will be easier if yours is. As yours will be if theirs is. I'm sure all y'all love each other enough to help each other with that. (If not, find a new posse, dude.) (Just kidding. Pretty much.)

Here are some of my recommendations for a bit of creative recharge, and good ol' escapism:

Books:
Good Omens  by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Beauty by Robin McKinley
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone

Movies:
The Decoy Bride



Without a Clue


Got any good recommendations to add to the "Peace and Joy" list?



8 comments:

Robin said...

My favorite movie of that type would have to be How To Steal A Million - with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.

Plus any Jane Austen movie.

mona said...

I used to habe a mental place, but they made me leave when their budget was cut.

Maegan Langer said...

I watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books. I also have to have my regular doses of Big Bang Theory, Colbert Report, and Downton Abbey. Cleaning, exercising, riding my horse, and listening to audio tapes while I drive are surefire ways to help me recharge. Plus naps. Naps are the best.

Janiel Miller said...

Rob - I forgot about that movie! Haven't watched it in years. I'm going to have to go find it.

Mona - Hahahahahaha! I hear ya, honey!

Maegs - Those are great rechargers! Especially the naps. And Big Bang. And Downton. And, okay, everything but cleaning.

William Kendall said...

For me it's music that gets my creative streak going. Or a climb up a nice rock face.

It's been awhile since I've seen Without A Clue, but that's a good one.

Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels will do the trick too...

jjsundevil said...

russe stop studying and come play

Janiel Miller said...

Ah, I LOVE Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. What a great flick.

Russo said...

I laughed hard at your reference to cricket-y. I'll take the hott British men playing sports!

You also made me giggle with the mention of my wigs but more than that, I love the idea that you wrote on creativity. And I need a creative recharge for sure.