~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, January 7, 2013

Sherlock, Xena, and Non-Resolutions


Happy New Year, Gnomeslayers! This was my first view of 2013 last Tuesday morning.



Even though I don't believe in resolutions, I can't help but think of a new year as a chance for a fresh start. I've been doing some thinking. I don't like New Year's resolutions because I never keep them. It's just setting myself up to start a new year feeling like a loser. However, this doesn't mean I don't have goals. I love to finish things, almost to a pathological degree. For example: I've had an impressive stack of books on my desk for months. My Goodreads to-read list is about a mile long. I can't pick up a new book without thinking, "Okay, gotta finish this baby as fast as I can so I can go on to the next one so I can go on to the next one so I can get rid of this giant pile of books because I SWEAR THEY'RE STARING AT ME WONDERING WHY I HAVEN'T READ THEM YET."

There is something wrong about that.

Another example. I was feeling a little under the weather this weekend, so I finally started watching Sherlock to pass the time. (Thank you, Netflix streaming!) (And yes, I totally get what all the fuss is about.) Sherlock only has six episodes so far, so that won't be too difficult to finish. But when I needed a break from the cerebral writing, dry British wit, dense (in a good way) plots, and even the adorable Martin Freeman who I'd like to carry around with me in my pocket, I started browsing for something lighter.

I landed on  . . . Xena: Warrior Princess. Yes, she of the leather armor, icy blue eyes, and fierce battle ululation who tore through an ancient Greece that looked nothing like ancient Greece because it was actually New Zealand. Her courage will change the world, you know.

 Man, I loved that show as a kid. Clicking "play" made my inner twelve-year-old very happy. And I got to thinking, I should watch the whole series again! That would be so fun! Except there are six seasons, one hundred and thirty-four episodes in all. For a moment, I was seized by my fiendish need to finish something again. Suddenly it wasn't about enjoying some mindless entertainment to distract myslef from the fact I wasn't feeling well. It was about getting through the entire show as fast as possible.

See what I mean? People, it ain't right.

Which brings me to my 2013 non-resolution. I'm not going to be so focused on finishing anymore. I know this is a cliché, but I'm going to focus on the journey. I'm going to enjoy the books I read, get lost in them, drink in what they have to offer and learn from the authors' craft. And I'm not going to worry about how long it takes. I'm going to be open to whatever this year has in store, rather than trying to control everything all the time. I might even finish all of Xena, but in small bites, having discovered the hard way that you can only watch so much Xena at once before your brain starts dribbling out of your ears.

I have some new writing plans too. I've signed up for a screenwriting class, something I've never tried before. I'm also going to back away from the blog a little bit. In fact, Janiel, Russo and I are all going to try a new blogging schedule for awhile. Not to worry - we're not going away. We love this blog, and we love you, our readers. But our writing energy and focus are limited, plus we've all got tons of other stuff going on in our lives, just like everyone else. For now, I'll be posting the first week of the month, Russo will post the second, and Janiel the third. The fourth post will be a surprise of some kind - a guest poster, or a group post. Who knows. Either way, it'll be fun. We'll see how it goes.

What are your plans for 2013? If you feel like sharing, I'd like to hear about your resolutions, or non-resolutions, in the comments.




Aye, Captain.


5 comments:

William Kendall said...

Hmmm, the term world domination comes to mind for things to do in 2013...

Cassidy Wadsworth said...

I'm excited to hear about your screenwriting class!

Maegan Langer said...

It's a good idea, but I don't know where I'd find the time . . .

Maegan Langer said...

Whoops, my comment was an answer to William's, not Cassidy. I will be more than happy to talk about my screenwriting class!

Russo said...

What a stunning pic, You live in such a beautiful area.

I hear you, resolutions are not my thing either. You gotta love Sherlock (HOTT) and Xena. Oh I was addicted to that show.

I love your idea of "focus on the journey." I need to try my hand at that.