~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How to achieve sobriety

Let's get intensley personal.

Today, I about had a mini heart attack.


I walked, okay, more like tripped with style, with my little neice to her summer school program. In between a bite of pop-tart coated with peanut butter, she says, "Mommy says you're made of angel dust."


Her one sentence causes me to stammer. I know she overheard my sister blabbling about my party monster days. The lil niece has no idea that angel dust is slang for a drug. She just thinks angel dust sounds magical.


I knew this day would come but not at freaking 7 years old. The only thing I can do is give her a super mild drug talk and hope that she makes better choices then I did.


In truth, we are bombarded with stories of addiction. So, how do you chase a dream when battling a deadly disease? The trick is to take sobriety one day, or even one hour at a time. Cliche but true. I would be lying if I said, its easy to face yourself and your fears.


Sobriety is an on-going process. You have to be constantly aware of your triggers and weak moments. And it doesn't just start with day one of coming clean. There are many resourses for you. There's therapy, support groups and yes, there's hope.


If you have a loved one who is in the thoes of addiction- of any kind- do not forget that one word-HOPE. Yes, there are the stories of tragic losses. I have already lost two close friends before the age of 30. But for every downfall of an individual, there is also a success story of beating the addiction.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice.

Anonymous said...

Most people go through very elaborate displays specifically NOT to face their fears. You seem to have faced yours & come out the winner. . . & that must continue to be a struggle.

But the kid is 7. You are right~this wasn't the time to inform her.

Shelly said...

I'm glad to read you're working those 12 steps. Me, I'm the opposite of you. The enabler. Once upon time I was married to a hardcore addict and also an alcoholic. Now I'm married to Sweetman, an avid anal-retentive junkie w/o too much drama.

Keep living in the real.

MANDY said...

Super advice. Life should be taken one day at a time. I think all of us would live much longer if we lived by this mantra. My husband is Jamaican and lives with less stress because he takes it easy...slowly, one day at a time. He is definately the ying to my yang. He makes me slow down. Tomorrow will get here. Let's enjoy today.