~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ways to not get stoned at a party

Lesson learned-when at a party with strangers do not ever eat the chocolate cookies. Because like it or not, you will get stoned. I know, I know, you are thinking- how in the world is this gonna help me chase my dream? Stick around, I might surprise you.

Lemme give you the dirt. Last night, I unknowingly got myself high. At 5pm, I played a wicked game of tennis. As a result of pushing myself too hard, I dropped my guard. Have you ever been so tired you will do whatever just ease the pain? The feeling stinks. Anyways, my best friend yanked my exhausted body out of bed for a party, I willingly went along. I was a terrible, painful mess. I grabbed the first set of clothes I could find- a mohair sweater with a plaid skirt and gladiator sandals. I looked like a school girl meets the movie 300.

At 9 pm, the air outside smelled like rain and anchovies. We traveled down a dirt road and into a small cottage with luminaries all along the walkway. Jameses-my best friend, stepped into the rest room. I hadn't eaten anything 2pm, and no joke, tore through 2 cookies. Jameses maneuvered through the crowd only to find me with glazed eyes.

He lovingly swatted away the cookies and said, "Baby-girl, I wouldn't eat those if I was you." I didn't listen to him. My shoulder pain began to disappear. I ate another set of warm chocolately goodness. All I could focus on was the chocolate chips. Apparently, I was a giggly mess. I repeatedly hugged my bestie, like his skin was made of red vines.

And as much as I don't want to admit this, I will, for the sake of the lesson-I jumped on top of the granite fireplace ledge outside and sang along with the iPOD- "Highway to Hell." I was dancing and whipping my hair all around. Truth to tell, I should've listened to my best friend. Instead I chose to do my own thing. Sometimes that will hurt you. In business, that will kill your career.

Along the journey of pursuing your dream, you will have mentors and teachers guide you along. The trick is to listen to those dear people. Don't blow them off because sometimes their advice may save you a whole lot of trouble.

14 comments:

Romina Garcia said...

That sounds like quite an ordeal!!
You can't change what happened. Best treat it as a life lesson...there'll be plenty more of those along the way. Just not in the form of choc chip cookies...

shelly said...

Only eat the cookies if you've got a vampire about to kiss you. It will stall them from changing you into one of them.

Unknown said...

Russo, you always have the best stories, and always give a good laugh. Sounds like quite the situation and golly, what a lesson you learned! I might not ever look at chocolate chip cookies again!

Chrisy said...

Hey, Russo. :) I'd love to connect with you. Shoot me a note when you have a moment... or recover from the cookie fiasco. You know better than to eat baked goods at a party!? [It's me... Chris Ross from Caleb's class. :)] chrisyross@msn.com

1 Funky Woman said...

I rather enjoy dancing on a table or two but yes its true one should refrain from doing those things. It's a good thing your friends weren't dipping into the cookies, can you imagine? It might be fun though, ok I digress!

Yes, constuctive criticism can be a good thing and some know how to be objective and that is the push you need!

Very good advice! Like the thought of your school girl meets the movie 300 outfit, ha!

Megan

Romina said...

Hahaha, you are funny =). Great tie in to chasing your dream. I'm sure somewhere out there, is a gladiator waiting to meet a school girl like you...fiesty, headstrong, determined.

Elizabeth said...

This is so funny! Haha watch out for those cookies next time...

Sara B. Larson said...

When I read the title of the post, I wondered if it was literal. Ha ha ha. I don't think I've ever been to that kind of party. Pretty sure all the cookies I meet are only bad for my waistline, not my brain function. :0 Your stories are always so crazy. Nice tie in, too btw. :)

Mindi said...

I hear ya! My best friend has bailed me out on many of those situations! Keepers!!

Janiel Miller said...

Mighty fine advice, Russ. I'll never eat chocolate chip cookies again. Except I will. I'll just have you taste test them first.
:)

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Love it! Thanks for stopping by. You need to try the peanuts in your Coke.

The Preppy Student said...

LOVEd this post!

Ellen said...

ahhh...memories. (oops, I digress!) yes, yes.. always listen to your friends/mentors... yeah, ok. ~ Ellen

Greenacremama said...

Diossss....that sounds alot like my brownie episode. Needless to say I don't eat what I don't see being prepared. ; )